Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been looking into a new exhaust setup or my '02 GT, and I've come up with some questions and hope you all can help me decide.. I'm just throwing around a bunch of ideas here

Well, first of all, this is my DD - 20-30 minutes to school and back. I've done a ton of research, but can't be too certain of what I want from video clips lol

I don't want it to be too too loud, but not quiet either. I like my music :D

I LOVE that really deep, throaty, rumbling sound, and that's what I'm shooting for. So I'm thinking an H pipe is what I'm looking for

I really like the sound of BBK LT's, BBK O/R H, and magnaflow catback. Do you think this'll work well for me, or to loud?

Am I correct in wanting LT headers to go with the sound I’m working at?

How big of a difference is there between the different H pipes like MAC, BBK, and Bassani? Mabye an O/R pipe isn't what i'm shooting for, not quite sure

What would you recommend for the sound I'm going for?

Any and ALL help is greatly appreciated :woot haha

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Its all a personal preference...go to local car meets, and go on youtube for different setups.

If your car is an auto, only LTs that will fit are MAC.

You dont need long tubes for just a sound....they are much more than just a sound thing, and very labor intensive.

Search the forums, search the internet and go with what you want.

I personally like the o/r h pipe with flows in the back...but seems like most like the x pipe setup...pypes setup is a pretty common setup around here.

There is no way anyone can really answer this question for you...its all up to what you want.

·
Registered
927 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the help, I'll keep searching around too

Ah yes, how could i forget, my car is an auto.

My major concerns are that it will be too loud, and also droning.

Shorty headers are the same length at the stock ones, right? If so, is that what you'd recommend?
Is there any major difference between the different brands of o/r h pipes?

oh wow haha that link is a really big help. Gonna go listen to those now

1 last question for this post - is there any real sound difference between the different years of cars?

·
Registered
360 Posts
you can go with an h-pipe or a prochamber with a any chambered muffler

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Basically if you leave yoru Stock Midpipe on your car and then get an aftermarket catback it will be the perfect sound (loudness wise) It wont be too quite or too loud. just right. heres a clip of My Flowtech Mufflers with Stock Midpipe. the Mid pipe is what makes your car insanely loud.

Video of Flowtech Afterburner Mufflers and messing around - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I have a couple on there. one of them is pretty long.

If you want your car to be really deep then you are going to want to go with a Catted midpipe rather then an O/R

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
shortie headers are not worth the time or effort to do...unless ya got a set for free, i wouldnt bother.

Exhaust drone mostly happens when you do a dump setup....if you want a nice sound do the long tubes into an h pipe with flow 40s out the back...wont be too loud but nice.

If you want raspy go x-pipe...if you want deep go h-pipe. personally dont like x-pipes but to each their own.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for all the help guys

I'm really liking the LT's with an H and flows.
Gah but there's so many options haha

How hard are the headers to install?

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
headers a kind of hard if you dont know what you are doing. labor charge will kill you though. 500 in labor i think is normal.

But yeah Dont wast your time with Shorties like someone else mentioned. LT are the way to go. First pick your exhaust system and then worry about headers. you dont need to do it all at once. The car is going to sound killer even with out headers.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I also have a 2002 GT and Im concerned about the same thing.... EXHAUST SETUP.

I have other issues in mind too. Right know my car is in the shop and its getting stage II comp cams(I believe they call them 270s) and fully ported heads. These creates a problem because I dont want an awefull sound. I know that I want an o/r h pipe but dont know what brand of h pipe or catback.:dunno

All I know is I want the best sound possible.:3gears

·
Registered
360 Posts
true, longtubes give you more power than shorties

·
Registered
360 Posts
well maybe, h-pipe or prochamber with free-flow mufflers

·
Registered
927 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
PR pride baby!!! lol There are a couple of us around

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I also have a 2002 GT and Im concerned about the same thing.... EXHAUST SETUP.

I have other issues in mind too. Right know my car is in the shop and its getting stage II comp cams(I believe they call them 270s) and fully ported heads. These creates a problem because I dont want an awefull sound. I know that I want an o/r h pipe but dont know what brand of h pipe or catback.:dunno

All I know is I want the best sound possible.:3gears
Mac and Pypes have good H Pipes. When in doubt go with them. Mac is the most popular.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Ok i didn't read all of this past you have an auto, but if you have an auto you can't use the BBK LT headers if your still lookin at LT headers. Only ones I have found that fit an auto are the MAC LT's

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
IMHO, long tubes, pro chamber, and Borla Stingers = Sexytime, You'll be peeling your pants off with spatula everytime you drive the car.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts