Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what should i be shifting at with stock cams i want to stay in the powerband should i go a little above 5400 or shift at 5400? last time took it to 6000 big mistake:eek: i wasn't making power for probably half the run, hoping to squeeze a 13.50 out of her. it should be about 60 degrees that night hoping for a good run.:D

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
i shifted around 5800 on stock cams nd pulled a 13.5 outta my car with my fatass in it so you should do it with those gears easy.

Reactions: Applehead281

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I shift around 5500-5600 rpms.. And with your mods you should be running a hell of allot better than 13.5 with big and littles atleast it looks like thats what you have in you avie pic..

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I shift around 5500-5600 rpms.. And with your mods you should be running a hell of allot better than 13.5 with big and littles atleast it looks like thats what you have in you avie pic..

what should i launch at cause i will have to slide the clutch a bit having street tires and all:confused:

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
what should i launch at cause i will have to slide the clutch a bit having street tires and all:confused:
Umm i havent been on street tire in a long time.. I would start at 2k slipping the clutch and work your way up from there until you find what you like the most.. Cause it can vary with track condition weather etc..

·
Registered
114 Posts
2400-2700 rpm's depending on track conditions just be easy with the clutch and get a good feel. when its all said and done get DR's and get out of the hole like you want

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dr's

2400-2700 rpm's depending on track conditions just be easy with the clutch and get a good feel. when its all said and done get DR's and get out of the hole like you want
u don't happen to know where i could get a decent used set do ya?:confused:

·
Registered
114 Posts
personally i would say go with mickey thompson and i think a lot of others would agree. i think they usually go for $180 new. as far as getting used im not sure.. try ebay or maybe craigslist and see if you can find a set on there

·
Registered
3,522 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
at what rpm is your peak power at...... mine was at 5450 with the stock cams which made my best shift points 1-2 shift 6000 2-3 6000 and 3-4 5800

shifts point wont always be the same in each gear due to gearing of the trans cause some gears will drop more rpm then others and you want to stay right in the meat pof the power band but youshould never shift below or right at peak power

the best thing that worked for me wasa log book so some sort so you can log each run from track temp, air temp, tire pressure, susp setting,shift points

i would start at shift point of 6000 in the 1-2 and start at 5700 for the other 2 shifts and work your way up till the MPH drops off... once you get the mph to stay with in a couple .40 of each other then start working on the shifting itself...... but even doing this can be hard with a non sticky tire on the car cause if you spin or hook can change the mph

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the great info guys we'll see how she does all of you r gettin reps for this thread!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
If I were driving your car ...

I'd slip the clutch at about 2800 rpms at the launch, run it out to about 5600-5800 rpms and shift into second. In the other gears I'd shift at about 5400-5600 rpms. I'd try that and play around a bit with my launch and shift points to see what works and what doesn't.

In my car, I generally come out of the hole at 3600 rpms, slipping the clutch then hammering it to the floor by the time the clutch is fully released. I shift into 2nd at about 6000 rpms and then at about 5800 rpms in the subsequent gears. I have Comp 262AH cams and that's what generally works for my car. I also have Nitto 555Rs, double-spherical LCAs, battery in the trunk, A/C delete, adjustable shocks and struts set up loose, all of which help get the car out of the hole and keep it going straight down the track.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
at what rpm is your peak power at...... mine was at 5450 with the stock cams which made my best shift points 1-2 shift 6000 2-3 6000 and 3-4 5800

shifts point wont always be the same in each gear due to gearing of the trans cause some gears will drop more rpm then others and you want to stay right in the meat pof the power band but youshould never shift below or right at peak power

the best thing that worked for me wasa log book so some sort so you can log each run from track temp, air temp, tire pressure, susp setting,shift points

i would start at shift point of 6000 in the 1-2 and start at 5700 for the other 2 shifts and work your way up till the MPH drops off... once you get the mph to stay with in a couple .40 of each other then start working on the shifting itself...... but even doing this can be hard with a non sticky tire on the car cause if you spin or hook can change the mph
not sure i would say about what yours was it starts falling at about 5800.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I were driving your car ...

I'd slip the clutch at about 2800 rpms at the launch, run it out to about 5600-5800 rpms and shift into second. In the other gears I'd shift at about 5400-5600 rpms. I'd try that and play around a bit with my launch and shift points to see what works and what doesn't.

In my car, I generally come out of the hole at 3600 rpms, slipping the clutch then hammering it to the floor by the time the clutch is fully released. I shift into 2nd at about 6000 rpms and then at about 5800 rpms in the subsequent gears. I have Comp 262AH cams and that's what generally works for my car. I also have Nitto 555Rs, double-spherical LCAs, battery in the trunk, A/C delete, adjustable shocks and struts set up loose, all of which help get the car out of the hole and keep it going straight down the track.
k i will have to practice with it before it was 86 degrees that day and i was shifting way too high i will actually have some good air to play with this time.:yes

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
k i will have to practice with it before it was 86 degrees that day and i was shifting way too high i will actually have some good air to play with this time.:yes
Wish i did its still 96+ degrees here and will be until november lol..

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
u don't happen to know where i could get a decent used set do ya?:confused:
since you don't have tire's now, stay away from d/r's on a stick car, they don't work very well & are a good way to break something. either get bias ply DOT tire's or full slick's.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dot's

since you don't have tire's now, stay away from d/r's on a stick car, they don't work very well & are a good way to break something. either get bias ply DOT tire's or full slick's.

who makes some good bias plys tires where can i get them:confused:

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
who makes some good bias plys tires where can i get them:confused:
mickey thompson ET street's or Hoosier quick time pro's would be my sugestion if you want a DOT tire (don't be confused though, their not very safe on the street). you could get the tire's anywhere, I get mine at Summit since their so close & I can just drive up there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts