Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am going to be putting a turbo on my 408 over the winter. I found a sweet kit from a company named Pony Down Performance. They make a kit for a Mustang with a 351w based motor. Ever since I installed the Lentech Strip Terminator tranny the car is way different. Dont get me wrong its still fast but way 2 smooth 4 my taste. I miss the violent feeling of the manual trans. So what better way 2 solve that than 2 install a turbo kit & spray it with my progressive nitrous kit!!! lol... hahahahahahahaha..:3gears

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that plus go back to a manual trans
Ahhh, NO. First I do not want a car that has 700+hp 2 the wheels with a manual trans. IMO with that much power I dont know why u would want 1. Second I bought this tranny that is capable of holding 1500hp 1000ftlbs of torque 4 a reason.. Thanks though that was informative... NOT...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I remember when I was scared of a manual, I was 5 and it was a DS 80 dirt bike.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I think its funny when people make comments about the ones of us that run clickers, saying we are scared, or cant drive, etc. There is a reason behind our transmissions, because we are making more power than a manual will hold. So when those of you making the comments actually make enough power to break something then you can talk. This really wasnt pointed at you ML cause usually you are pretty cool, but more towards the kids on here that will chime in soon enough with their nearly stock mustangs making 190 HP but are badasses cause they can burn the tires in 3 gears....and calling guys with clickers girls and what not......OK /rant.... :D

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
the op said what better way to get that violent feel back then to put on a turbo and nirous and I say go one more step and by a bad ass manual. You and I both know that there are manuals out there that will hand any power an auto will. It is still back to drivability

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont want a bad ass manual.. I have been stick for 10+years. I wanted 2 try somethin different. I am happy with what I have & my ultimate plan was 2 turbo the car anyway. I know what it feels like 2 leave the line at 5000rpm in a stick & what it feels like 2 leave off a transbrake. I will take the transbrake launch anyday. Case closed..... Say what U want ML but we all know what would happen if u & I were 2 meet at the track..

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I dont know about a manual that will handle as much as an auto, I checked around a lot before going the route I did, and you dont see to many serious drag cars running manuals. Like I said ML I wasnt really pointing that at you I think you are a cool guy but there will be some jerkoff kid with a stock gt 5 spd talking about how autos are for girls or people who cant drive manual...It happens every time there is a post about running a clicker. I have had around 30-40 cars in my life not including all my work trucks and I have owned a ton of manuals, guess I am getting old but i like not having to hold the clutch in, shift gears, blah blah blah....I also like being able to drink something, eat something or answer my phone and not have to worry about shifting.....LOL especially since you can build a clicker that will run as hard and is almost as fun as a manual

check out Click Click Racing there are some guys with some pretty bad ass cars running autos over there.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks 4 the support man... I dont listen 2 other people when it comes 2 what I want.. Especially guys like that... Like u said try & find a manual that is dynoed & rated 2 handle 1500hp & 1000ftlbs of torque with OD & a lifetime warranty like my Lentech Strip Terminator can...

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Never looked at manuals that could support that much power and never will.. this isn't a ford but I know of a local viper owner who holds the record for 9.60's in the quarter with the stock six speed manual trans which is pretty damn cool.

With that much power your better off leaving on the transbrake anyhow so i'd worry about matching a turbo to your combo

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree 100% Ryan. As far as matching my combo with a kit, that's all set. Between my friend Ray who is very very knowledgable about turbo systems. " he placed 2nd at the Memphis Pump Gas Drags" last year with his turbo 70 Nova runnin 8.50's. The guy who owns Pony Down Performance has been a big help too.. I also will take any help that I can get in regards 2 puttin 2gether the right setup, what r u refering 2 about matching?? Thanks again Ryan..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Driving style has a lot to do with how well any transmission will hold up. I know of a particular racer who puts down 7's with a 5-speed in stock configuration. Yeah, he has to rebuild it practically every other race day, but he's figured out how to launch ridiculously fast without shearing it in two every time.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Quick question and sorry to side track ur post but please consider it as a free bump.

What was the track time difference with the manual u had the ur auto trannny?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
If he is making enough power to run 7's then he is grannying that thing out of the dig, he probably could do mid 6's with a stalled up clicker leaving on the transbrake.....I would have to see it 7's on a stock 5 spd? That would be impressive to me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
iv had an auto and they are good for track consistancy but other than that i feel like its too boring to drive. tho my car doesnt make anywhere near the power needed to blow a trans i still would rather have a stick. JS

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Am I a punk kid with a stocker?

what is your gearing in the rear?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Im a punk kid with a little cock

I like it in the rear
Wow I always thought you were pretty cool baine, Now you are even cooler....lol just kidding bro....on the gearing I am going with 3.73's

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If he is making enough power to run 7's then he is grannying that thing out of the dig, he probably could do mid 6's with a stalled up clicker leaving on the transbrake.....I would have to see it 7's on a stock 5 spd? That would be impressive to me.
We r talkin the 1/8th mile i would think?!!

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
iv had an auto and they are good for track consistancy but other than that i feel like its too boring to drive. tho my car doesnt make anywhere near the power needed to blow a trans i still would rather have a stick. JS
Its far from boring 2 drive with a manual valve body with a transbrake & enough power 2 make it fun!!!

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Its far from boring 2 drive with a manual valve body with a transbrake & enough power 2 make it fun!!!
+mothereffin1000000000000 I dont know why people always say that, maybe whats fun to me is not fun to someone else or visa versa, but it is a blast for me to drive, I love it, I need to my current one back on the road cause I am sure its going to be even more fun. Like I said I like the freedom of being able to use the phone, eat, drink, or smack my old lady around from time to time :eek::D and not have to worry about clutching or shifting..(well I still have to shift, but easier than a manual) I always get some comment about manuals are more fun and clickers are for girls or people who cant drive:eek: We actually bought this car to build to get my wife into racing, and wanted a car that can pull some nice numbers in the 1/4 without having to worry about blowing trannys due to too much HP, cause soon as we get a mexican block or probably aftermarket block, and the machine work is done, we are probably going to go turbo, cause the closest place to buy smack is 2.5 hours away, its nothing to do with her not being able to drive or handle it, my wife drives a manual now and the car she learned how to drive in was manual.

Some people think reading is fun, some people hate it.... Some like skydiving, some are scared to death to try it. Whats fun to one person isnt always fun for the next......especially here a lot of the guys like guys.... some of us like women...LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts