Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have a few questions. I have a 93 lx.previously a 4cylinder car.. got a 91 5.0 H.O. i dont have a harness for this motor. and what not. so i wanta go carb. since i already have to pull the intake off to put my cam in,annd i have a rebuilt holley 650. i just need an intake and a holley red or blue pump, and a pick up for the tank. can i use the 2.3l harness on this application. or am i still gonna have to get a 5.0 harness? i mean ihave the altenator, and starter harness. i just dont have the 5.0 injector or computer harness. let me know. and junk yards around here dont have any fox bodys at all. and what ppl want for a harness.... nope.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I put a 93 carbed 5.0 in my 83 vert, and only needed to wire the electric choke, and installed a 3 wire Unilite distributor, pretty simple. I kept the old 6 bangers alternator, regulator etc. without any issues. You will probably need to vent the valve covers, as the PCV system on the carb is different.
You shouldn't need the harness at this point, mine is a 5 speed so no transmission signal worries also.

Here are some wirirng diagrams if needed Mustang FAQ - Engine Information

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
no you don't need the injector or engine harness. You can splice into the chassis harness near the brake booster to keep the gauges working (i.e. tach, oil pressure, and coolant temp).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea probably not. i live in PA and we have almost as stick smog( emissions here) and it wont pass un less you put everything that a ur efi had

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dont get me wrong if theres a will theres a way. and i dont know what cali's smog regulations. i run my own shop here in Pa and basically what ever smog/ emissions equipment the vehicle came threw with, has to be there. but 95 and under it has to only APPEAR to be in working order. but in 96 and up you have to hook it up to the DLC and the computer reads all the o2 sensors,and what not..

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
dont get me wrong if theres a will theres a way. and i dont know what cali's smog regulations. i run my own shop here in Pa and basically what ever smog/ emissions equipment the vehicle came threw with, has to be there. but 95 and under it has to only APPEAR to be in working order. but in 96 and up you have to hook it up to the DLC and the computer reads all the o2 sensors,and what not..
The only way you'll make a converted-to-carb motor "legal" in California is to find a smog shop that will illegally pass you for emissions, or if you live in a smog-on-transfer-of-title only county, have it pass once, and then never sell the car.

Either way, if you ever get your hood popped, you're gonna have to go to a smog ref to get your car back on the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts