Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Me and the old man have been looking for a truck for hauling. The 2000 dodge ram 2500 5.9 magnum is about to its life expectancy, with 204,000 miles on the old girl its about to retire her. Unless we need her for doing random **** projects.

Well anyway a family friends dad past away last year and now he ended up with his dads truck which is a 1999 F-350 XLT Extended Cab Dually with the 7.3 diesel in her. He has no use for the truck what so ever. The truck is in mint shape, 76,000 miles on her. The truck was only used to haul there camper in the summer for vacations. It has been well taken care of and maintained regularly. Was never driven in the winter and has no rust and always stored inside. I have yet to see it in person, my pops has though and he fell in love. The guy is asking 15,000 for it and i see the value there but that is a pretty penny for a truck that is 13 years old, however i know its a diesel with low miles and taken car of.

So my question is, we were thinking about asking 13,000 for it and willing to come up to 13,500. My parents weren't really in the market for a truck until spring but then this came up.

Is that to low of an offer or is the price completely off in either direction?

Here is the truck!!!! Took me long enough to get a picture up here.

What is something that i should look for?

Problem areas such as?

Never had a diesel before, drove them a few times and my dad had a diesel about 20 years ago lol

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
Sucks on fuel costs right now. 75 cents a gallon more than gas here.

Is it a 4x4 or a 2wd dually? Also a 99 can be an early or a late 99 and that changes power output and small things.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sucks on fuel costs right now. 75 cents a gallon more than gas here.

Is it a 4x4 or a 2wd dually? Also a 99 can be an early or a late 99 and that changes power output and small things.
Thanks Matt! And ya fuel cost does suck, and we dont plan on driving this thing much unless were hauling the trailers and cars. But this is the reason my folks didnt want to buy a new 45,000 dollar diesel and pay the price of diesel. And they figured its a lot easier to pay the price of diesel when you only bought the truck for 13,000 bucks.

Anyway, its a 4x4 dually, not sure on the build date. Will figure that out tonight, actually didnt know there was a difference so thanks for that. I jsut did about 30 minutes of research after you said that to figure out the difference. Cause all the reasearch i did previously was just about truck itself and not the fact there was and early and late build.

So reps to you sir! and really appreciate it! edit: must spread it around .. be back soon lol

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts

·
Registered
3,357 Posts

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
ha, what EGR? I think your thinking of the 6.0's.

if it only has 76k on it i would suspect it blue books for a lot more then $13.5k but you cant go wrong with a 7.3 with that low of miles.
2002 7.3 is probably one of the best years it was made. Id trade your car in two seconds after seeing that if it had decent miles on it.

They'll run forever...I wouldn't buy a 6.0L but 2002 7.3...You bet your ass I would!

Im going to get rid of my truck when it hits 300K miles for a Diesel. Ill be looking for a 2008-2010 F250 FX4 Diesel with a manual trans.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
ha, what EGR? I think your thinking of the 6.0's.

if it only has 76k on it i would suspect it blue books for a lot more then $13.5k but you cant go wrong with a 7.3 with that low of miles.
Cool. Yeah I couldn't remember what engine had the problems. I still have to wonder what is wrong with it. I am just not sure it's worth trading my car in when I still owe about $3000 on my car. But so much want with that truck :lol

Where did you see 76k? it has 190,883 miles

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
The OP is looking at one with 76K on it

As for the one with all the problems I think the winner would be the 6.0L on that one. Not only does it have problems. But it has very very expensive problems.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also a 99 can be an early or a late 99 and that changes power output and small things.
Just found out its a early 99. At this point from everything i read the early one is not a bad truck, just some things are different. Turbo and injector size and a few other things. I doubt will do much to it so im not worried about turbo and injector size. And those are always up-gradable.

Its not worth $15,000 in this economy. I would offer 13 like you said.
Offered him 13000, said he couldnt do it. He said come on now its got 6 brand new tires on it and we settled on 13,400. Going to pick it up tomorrow evening from him!

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
Noting wrong with an early 99. They have 2.5 inch plenum a a different turbo and AB injectors.

Throw a DP tuner on that thing and some gauges to watch tranny temp and EGT thing will go forever.

Also you'll beable to feel when the oil breaks down by a rougher running engine. When you do to an oil change, I recommend valvoline blue 5w40 synthetic. The synthetic oil goes 2.5-3 times longer for me and makes starting in the cold so much better.

·
Manthusiast
2,806 Posts
I want *drool*

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Noting wrong with an early 99. They have 2.5 inch plenum a a different turbo and AB injectors.

Throw a DP tuner on that thing and some gauges to watch tranny temp and EGT thing will go forever.

Also you'll beable to feel when the oil breaks down by a rougher running engine. When you do to an oil change, I recommend valvoline blue 5w40 synthetic. The synthetic oil goes 2.5-3 times longer for me and makes starting in the cold so much better.
Whats your oil change interval? (Roughly) Anything happen when switching over to synthetic (dont no alot about diesels)

And ya DP is what i have been researching, i see a lot of guys running other ones and hurt stuff then go to DP. So it looks like DP knows there ****.

Thanks again Matt!

Ill try and post some pics later tonight or tomorrow!

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
Jody at DP is a really cool guy. He comes and live tunes here in Denver every year. I have had a ts chip that I didn't like( came with a truck) switched to DP and got 4 miles per gallon more towing and 2 around town.

I like knowing which tune I'm in too with the led screen telling me what tune it is in.

I change my oil 7-7500 miles with synthetic and 2200 or so with normal.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We sold our 01 f350 crew 4x4 with a salvage title and 86,950 miles for 18,000. That is a smoking hot deal tho
Thanks man, sounds like you guts got a hella deal. But ya we knew we needed somethingand we looked for ever trying to find something nice with out braking the bank the was going to last. And it came with all the goosneck and fifth wheel attachment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts