Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all Im going to the track tonight and there are some things that I had some questions about..

Like Im running Nitto NT555 street tires and what tire pressure should they be set at? Right now they are at 30psi for each tire...

Also Im running a full tank of gas on accident because it is a spur of the moment thing to go so will it be that much of a hinderance...

Last time I went to the track I didnt rev the engine up bc of the tires not gripping, but I think its my driving that sucks. What rpms should I try? Also Should I shift into 4th bc of the 3.73 gears or ride out third gear?

Sorry for all the newb questions but I would feel a little better with some tips.

Thanks guys:D

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Burn the hell out of the Nittos to heat them up good.

Launch the first time at 2000 and see what happens and then adjust from there.

Do you know the power band of your engine, if not then shift when you have to.

I don't shift mine from 3rd to 4th until right after my nitrous shuts off.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
a full tand is 139+pounds so that may make a difference may hepl keep you from spinning out but your dragging dead weight down the track so it may give you a higher et and lower trap speed

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

That's what you DON'T do with street tires. Just spin em over once to clean em off and take off about 2K and feather the clutch while slowly flooring it, just have fun and try everything to see what works best. Good luck.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
There's nothing in your garage. It's really impossible to answer your question without more information. Are you driving a manual transmission or an automation? Are you running the 1/8 or the 1/4? Your question about shiftin into fourth begs for more information.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
OK. I had to search your history. At 14 sec. you're running the 1/4 and with 3.73 gears... I still don't know if you have an automatic. On an automatic you should never go to fourth gear. For a manual transmission, it depends on your red line.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I would love to roast my tires but I need them to last at least a while longer as the car is my dd, also I usually shift into 4th but someone once said that if I run out third I can get a faster time but idk... I think I will just shift it into 4th.

a full tand is 139+pounds so that may make a difference may hepl keep you from spinning out but your dragging dead weight down the track so it may give you a higher et and lower trap speed
Ok ya I figured the full tank of gas would hurt bc when I fill it up the car feels a heck of a lot heavier than it does, like it doesnt feel as nimble as it does with about a half or quarter tank of gas in it...

I would shift to 4th man. If you have 3.73 gears that is. You should be trapping 100mph and with 3.73 gears that equals around 6700rpm....not good for our motors.
Ya I will definitely shift into 4th bc I dont want to pop my motor and kill my only car for driving..

That's what you DON'T do with street tires. Just spin em over once to clean em off and take off about 2K and feather the clutch while slowly flooring it, just have fun and try everything to see what works best. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip, I remember someone telling me that if you go through the water box with street tires and do a burnout hte water actually gets trapped in your tires and causes you to spin badly... I think I will try to avoid the water box at all cost but they always spray water everywhere at my track...:mad:

There's nothing in your garage. It's really impossible to answer your question without more information. Are you driving a manual transmission or an automation? Are you running the 1/8 or the 1/4? Your question about shiftin into fourth begs for more information.
Sorry I just joined and I have been kinda lazy about that, I didnt think anoyone would check it out lol. But I guess I will update it. But yes my car is a 2003 GT with the Tremec 3650 manual transmission. The track I go to is a 1/4 track. ANd yes my best time was a 14.3 at 96-98 or so miles an hour with the 87 tune and I was shifting into 4th gear and not powershifting it. I was launching at 1000-1100 rpms and had a hard time managing the tires to not spin... I think some of its my driving though bc I let the clutch pedal go and dont hold it halfway when I launch.. If I do that will it help or not? Sorry for the questions... I guess I should just find a empty street out here and just practice launches at different rpms.

Thanks for the tips guys I really appreciate the input! Btw I didnt go tonight, the track wasnt doing the regular car racing and they were holding a different event:banghead. So I plan on going next week with a quarter tank of 93 gas this time instead of a full tank of 87..... :D

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
try 1/8 of a tank unless you plan on running all night.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts