Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found a list of mods under the seat of my car that i just bought. it's from the guy who sold the car to the guy i just bought it from. it states that the engine was rebuilt in '06, so that's a plus. but here's a list of mods that are on the car. tell me what you guys think.
  • Edelbrock Heads
  • Lunati Cam
  • Cobra Intake
  • Underdrive Pullies
  • 70MM TB
  • Mass Air Conversion
  • BBK Cold Air Intake W/ Fenderwell Mount Air Filter
  • Shorty Headers (Not Sure Of Brand) W/ Flowmaster 40's (Dumped)
  • Aluminum Driveshaft
  • BBK Short Throw
  • Koni Front Shocks
  • Lakewood 50/50 Drag Shocks
  • Lakewood Upper.Lower Control Arms

·
Registered
678 Posts
Looks like a pretty good setup. One other cheap upgrade if not already on there is subframe connectors.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wow, sounds pretty good. I am particulary glad about the mass air conversion. Did you get a decent price on it? If you can get some pics of the engine, say the headers and the heads. can you see the front of the heads and get the numbers off of them? That will give you info to figure out which eddy heads you have.

I saw that you are thinking of replacing the headers. Wait till you find out what heads you have. I'm guessing they are performers with 1.90" intake valves. Those headers might work pretty good with the engine you have and you may accidently spend much unneeded money on headers for little gain.

If you get some pics up we'll all give you an opinion.

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, sounds pretty good. I am particulary glad about the mass air conversion. Did you get a decent price on it? If you can get some pics of the engine, say the headers and the heads. can you see the front of the heads and get the numbers off of them? That will give you info to figure out which eddy heads you have.

I saw that you are thinking of replacing the headers. Wait till you find out what heads you have. I'm guessing they are performers with 1.90" intake valves. Those headers might work pretty good with the engine you have and you may accidently spend much unneeded money on headers for little gain.

If you get some pics up we'll all give you an opinion.
yeah. i only paid 1k for it. it needs a buncha work. i've put about 1k into it, and it needs another 12 hundered or so.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Damn...what a freakin deal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 1986 and I have a question about the heads. I was told that b/c it has the flat top pistons, very few heads will work with them. I was told that twisted wedge heads was the only way to go due to clearance issues. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please. Sorry to highjack the thread, but if you don't have any issues i'd love to copy that set up, b/c it sounds sweet. Thanks

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have a 1986 and I have a question about the heads. I was told that b/c it has the flat top pistons, very few heads will work with them. I was told that twisted wedge heads was the only way to go due to clearance issues. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please. Sorry to highjack the thread, but if you don't have any issues i'd love to copy that set up, b/c it sounds sweet. Thanks
dude, i don't know anything about it. :dunno i wish i did. i just bought this thing as a project, not knowing anything about the engine. i only bought it cause it has a good straight body. turned out to have a decent setup, but it's still in need of some work. it's got a really bad shake when it get's above 2k rpm. i was told by a very reputable mech. that it's the flywheel. it's got an electrical issue too. but nothing too big. i hope :D

but i'm not sure about the pistons. the only thing listed in the email that i found are the heads and cam. nothing about pistons. sorry i can't be more help bro.

and Street6: i'll take some pics tomorrow. i have a few now but nothing of the headers od heads. here's the link if you wanna take a peak. 86 GT and disregard the aluminum flame shifter bezel. i replaced that ugly thing and put a new boot and bezel on it. that was ugly as all get out.

·
Registered
540 Posts
i found a list of mods under the seat of my car that i just bought. it's from the guy who sold the car to the guy i just bought it from. it states that the engine was rebuilt in '06, so that's a plus. but here's a list of mods that are on the car. tell me what you guys think.
  • Edelbrock Heads
  • Lunati Cam
  • Cobra Intake
  • Underdrive Pullies
  • 70MM TB
  • Mass Air Conversion
  • BBK Cold Air Intake W/ Fenderwell Mount Air Filter
  • Shorty Headers (Not Sure Of Brand) W/ Flowmaster 40's (Dumped)
  • Aluminum Driveshaft
  • BBK Short Throw
  • Koni Front Shocks
  • Lakewood 50/50 Drag Shocks
  • Lakewood Upper.Lower Control Arms

In this case your cam can make a huge difference, it would be nice to know what Lunati cam there is. Have you tried to contact previous owners? Also what size is your mass air? Anyway, i like those mods, and for a 1k, i envy you. If you are thinking of replacing those headers, look at some longtubes, preferably ceramic coated

I was told that b/c it has the flat top pistons, very few heads will work with them. I was told that twisted wedge heads was the only way to go due to clearance issues. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please.

I'm not so sure that even twisted wedges work with flat tops. Thats just something i remember reading from some other thread, but like i said, not sure tho.

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
holy **** that thing must be fast
i wouldn't know. i can't run it hard 'cause it it's got a crazy bad vibration in it when it get up to 2k rpm. so, i've only driven it a few times, and never gotten on it.:(

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Are the vibrations anytime or only when in gear moving? Look at your harmonic balancer and see if the outer ring shifted or if the rubber between the inner and outer ring has moved.

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are the vibrations anytime or only when in gear moving? Look at your harmonic balancer and see if the outer ring shifted or if the rubber between the inner and outer ring has moved.
yeah, it vibrates in neutral or in gear.

will taht be something noticable? i'm not really mechanically inclined. and though i know what parrt you're talking about, i don't know what it's supposed to look like in it's normal state. i'll go look at it and let ya know what i see.

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
might check the motor & trans mounts to make sure they aren't broken or loose. just a thought
well, the guys who's been working on it looked everything over. and , niether of those things were on the to do list of things he found. he's fairly certain that it's the flywheel. he did also mention something about the balancer. i'm just ready to get it figured out so i can start chompin on some ricers.:cool:

i've been working on some of the electrical issues today, but the battery is completely drained and it won't take a charge or a jump. :mad:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had something similar on my old camaro and it was the tranny mounts. It only happened when I got on it during shifts though.

The harmonic balancer is good advice also...good luck.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Maybe the dude looking at your car knows a little more than you are describing but if it was me, I'd change the harmonic balancer before trying the flywheel for two reasons. The factory HB is two pieces of steel. The outer ring is only held in place by the friction from a piece of rubber. They wear out and can slip, other reason is you can get one for about $80 and it should only take about an hour to replace. Much easier than taking off the flywheel in my opinion. Of course that would suck if it is not the HB causing it though.

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah. it needs a clutch and the rear main seal is leaking anyway, so he's gonna be in that area. might as well check the ole flywheel too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
what kind of fan do you have on the car my buddy broke a blade on his flex fan and had similar problems we change the HB and the flywheel to find out it was a $50 flex fan

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
what kind of fan do you have on the car my buddy broke a blade on his flex fan and had similar problems we change the HB and the flywheel to find out it was a $50 flex fan
how did yall change the HB and not notice the fan was broken

1 - 20 of 30 Posts