Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some new struts on the way and was planning to have my car aligned after installing them. I would like to find a good camber spec that will give me s little better than factory handling, but minimize any inner tire wear. I was thinking around -1.7 or so on each side. What have you guys had them set at and had good luck with?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I'm set at -1.2 ish camber and caster is maxed out positive. Handles nicely and I have good tire wear.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
-1.7 might be pushing it. What tire are you running?

Max the caster out and i'd do -1.1 to -1.5.

I'm running -2.4 and my tires last about one summer.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I also run -1.7° camber, it does wear the inside of the tires more however the improvement in handling is worth it to me. Also I agree on the caster, as much as you can get--usually 5° to 6°...

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I run some cheap prime well tires right now. My dad bought them for me when I bought the car. Alright thanks guys. Will rep when I get home.

Cliffy - how many miles do you get out of your tires with what you're running and and what kind of tires are they? I'm OK with a little wear, but I'd like at least three summer out if then driving the car 4-5k per summer.

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
-1.7 is a bit low, gonna speed up your tire wear big time. I guess if you value handing over tire wear then it'll be fine, but figure you'll probably cut your tire wear almost in half. Definitely give yourself a little toe-in though, at least .5" a side.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Cliffy - how many miles do you get out of your tires with what you're running and and what kind of tires are they?
I run Falken RT-615's, 110% summer tires, and get 10k to 12k on the front, 6k to 8k on the rear. However since I retired two years ago I have driven the Mustang fewer than 4500 miles. Just 1200 miles in 2012 (I only drove it five times) as I ride my bike just about everywhere I need to go--it gets 60 mpg, 65 on the highway.

I'm OK with a little wear, but I'd like at least three summer out if then driving the car 4-5k per summer.
At -1.5° to -1.7° you will do better than that unless they are very soft compound tires with a treadwear rating 150 or less. The RT-615s are rated for 180 (245/45-17 up front) and 220 (275/40-17 in the back)...

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I run Falken RT-615's, 110% summer tires, and get 10k to 12k on the front, 6k to 8k on the rear. However since I retired two years ago I have driven the Mustang fewer than 4500 miles. Just 1200 miles in 2012 (I only drove it five times) as I ride my bike just about everywhere I need to go--it gets 60 mpg, 65 on the highway.

At -1.5° to -1.7° you will do better than that unless they are very soft compound tires with a treadwear rating 150 or less. The RT-615s are rated for 180 (245/45-17 up front) and 220 (275/40-17 in the back)...
Awesome thanks! I think I'll set them at 1.5 and 4.5 caster ( I'll be doing it myself) and see how that works. How much toe are you running with that?

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
For the record, i'm running run flat potenzas with a 120 treadwear. That's probably why they only last a summer (~3000 miles) :lol

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Awesome thanks! I think I'll set them at 1.5 and 4.5 caster ( I'll be doing it myself) and see how that works. How much toe are you running with that?

I run the factory spec of 0.25° total toe-in...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts