Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I think this is a good deal but Ive already been riped alot lol so your input please...

Ok I finally got some friends at advance auto parts lol they hooked me up

This guy said he would do My shock towers for 200$ cut out the rust and weld in good metal and paint it black like nothing fancy paint

and he said for another 200$ he would do my passenger side floorboards

so is that good?

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Hey I think this is a good deal but Ive already been riped alot lol so your input please...

Ok I finally got some friends at advance auto parts lol they hooked me up

This guy said he would do My shock towers for 200$ cut out the rust and weld in good metal and paint it black like nothing fancy paint

and he said for another 200$ he would do my passenger side floorboards

so is that good?
thats not too bad just make sure he does a good job

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Who are "they" and do you have reason to believe them?

I've done floor boards before and it is a PITA, so definitely worth $200 to pay someone else to do it.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Who are "they" and do you have reason to believe them?

I've done floor boards before and it is a PITA, so definitely worth $200 to pay someone else to do it.
+1 they are so damn hard to do on these cars.

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah they are good guys at advance auto I hung out with them some yesterday today and we're supposed to check out his house tomorrow he has a supercharged el camino its bad lol he wants to show me his garage and all his tools he said he could help me on my mustang and stuff

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he's going to college he works evenings and goes to college for during the morning and afternoon (i didnt ask what he was going for)

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
awsome i'll be gettin it done soon, or maybe a little later that way I dont have to worry about about the rust

·
Registered
417 Posts
It's almost worth taking it to a reputable body shop est. dealing with the strut towers...if a hacker goes cutting and heating on those and gets your alignment or suspension geometry messed up then what are you gonna do? buy tires all the time? let a pro do it and get a warrenty on the work I've done this type of work for about 10 years now and I'm just trying to help man.......Just listen to your friends they can do it all and have never done it at all

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's almost worth taking it to a reputable body shop est. dealing with the strut towers...if a hacker goes cutting and heating on those and gets your alignment or suspension geometry messed up then what are you gonna do? buy tires all the time? let a pro do it and get a warrenty on the work I've done this type of work for about 10 years now and I'm just trying to help man.......Just listen to your friends they can do it all and have never done it at all

ok well thats a good point i never thought about that Im deff gonna look into that I'll let him do the floor boards tho he cant mess anything up doing that....well I hope not but yeah you make A VERY GOOD point I never thought of that Im going to ask around and see if he gives a warranty if not i'll have some one else do it you have to take the motor out and everything to do that dont you?

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok I will talk to that guy about the shock towers and im going to say what all do you have to take out im just wondering and show me what you will do and is there a warranty have you done this before? and if he says take out the engine and nothing else im not going ot let him do it and if he doesnt have a warranty i wont let him do it. if he does I will get it on paper so if something does mess up I dont want to be a dick but man thats my dream car and my DD I cant have anyone messin it up besides me :D

and thank you very very much I never thought of that you may have just saved me prob thousands

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Well, you'll be wanting to cut out all the rusty metal until you get to clean hard metal. Then you grind that part bare for welding, cut the patch panel to the same shape/size.
Then, I'd suggest painting everything in a good weld-through primer. Weld in the patch panel. Then Seam seal everything inside and out. Let dry 24 hours. Then paint with a quality paint/underbody coating.

·
Registered
417 Posts
any exposed metal will rust without being treated and primed even if you grind the metal to weld it up and touch it with your bare hands the oil in your hands will cause it to start rusting as soon as overnight.... the spots that will be welded are also a key area it will also rust easily if not treated properly.... there are certain ways to flange and overlap the pans and weld it up then grind it smooth then minimal amounts of body filler will smooth it over much cleaner than "but welding " or over laping or even patching it ...I reccomend to replace it rather than repair it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts