Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my dad borrowed a friends racing scales to weigh our race trucks before the race next weekend and I decided to throw my 2004 GT Vert on them to see what it weighs and the weight distribution.

Before I say the numbers, My car is basically stock except I have a little 30lb sub box behind the driver seat and a much much lighter exhaust that stock. Probably as light as an o/r mid pipe with straight pipes out the back.

Alright came in at 3,460lbs, 56.7% front weight, but with a perfect 50/50 left to right distribution. Then with me in it, I weigh about 220, weighed 3680, 56.0% front weight and 51% left weight. So all in all these cars are actually pretty well designed. Later down the road when I build the front and rear suspension for road course racing, lighten and build my engine, and make a custom roll cage, the car will have approximately a mere 52% front weight and weigh almost exactly as it does now. I was pretty happy about the finding. :D

·
Registered
890 Posts
99-01 cobras have better weight distribution than GT's :D

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Bullitts with aluminum blocks and tubular K-Members have better weight distribution than 99-01 Cobras......lol

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Verts have a higher weight period over the gt's.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you eat lots of McDolds's you wont have the 50/50 anymore hehe

i wana weigh my car, where do you go for that?
Haha, I have no Idea where to go, we just borrowed a set of scales.

I think you guys may be over-reacting to how much more a convertible weighs. The only differences are:
-Vert has a vinyl top with a smaller rear window which will actually be nearly identical to the steel top on coupes with the much bigger window
-Vert has the hydraulic pump and fluid going throughout the top (+~50-75lbs)
-Vert does not have amp rack, nor steel panel behind rear seats to block off the trunk, instead its a little plastic trunk lining that blocks it and the amps are directly mounted on the body next to the pump to put top down and up (-~10-15lbs)
-My car has home-made flsfc's from 1.5"x1.5"x3/8" wall which add nearly 70lbs, but most put flsfc's on vert and coupe so that's the same too.

Honestly, these aren't super cars where they put strengthening beams throughout the car to maintain rigidity, instead ford let them flex, so I would be surprised if a vert weighed any more than 100lbs more than a coupe. And with our power, even at a drag strip that would save us maybe a tenth of a second or so. Don't act like verts weigh all that much more than coupes, if it comes down to a race, it is still all driver.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
100lbs is not a small number but you're right it is a drivers race if it comes down to it but one has an advantage to start with in a drag race and with the simple math and logic its not the one thats 100lbs heavier. But I cant knock ya my fastet bolt-on time was 14.2 @97.6 with tire spin going into 2nd with two 15's in the trunk. and i see yours is 14.0 @98.8 so even with the heavier weight from the factory you woulda got me.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Haha, I have no Idea where to go, we just borrowed a set of scales.

I think you guys may be over-reacting to how much more a convertible weighs. The only differences are:
-Vert has a vinyl top with a smaller rear window which will actually be nearly identical to the steel top on coupes with the much bigger window
-Vert has the hydraulic pump and fluid going throughout the top (+~50-75lbs)
-Vert does not have amp rack, nor steel panel behind rear seats to block off the trunk, instead its a little plastic trunk lining that blocks it and the amps are directly mounted on the body next to the pump to put top down and up (-~10-15lbs)
-My car has home-made flsfc's from 1.5"x1.5"x3/8" wall which add nearly 70lbs, but most put flsfc's on vert and coupe so that's the same too.

Honestly, these aren't super cars where they put strengthening beams throughout the car to maintain rigidity, instead ford let them flex, so I would be surprised if a vert weighed any more than 100lbs more than a coupe. And with our power, even at a drag strip that would save us maybe a tenth of a second or so. Don't act like verts weigh all that much more than coupes, if it comes down to a race, it is still all driver.
Curbweight (lbs.)
° Coupe: 3,006
° Convertible: 3,208

Mustang Specs - 2004 Ford Mustang

Curb Weight : 3273-3317 lbs(coupe), 3429-3477 lbs(convertible)

1999-2004 Ford Mustang GT - Modern Racer - Auto Archive

The difference is somewhere between 150 and 200 lbs depending what source you quote.

·
I wanna SPRAY!
7,461 Posts
My coupe weighed 3210lbs with a half tank of gas and no weight reduction. That 250lbs adds up.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
This front-heavy weight bias is what makes our cars hard to launch. Taking weight off the front, even just a little bit, makes a noticeable difference.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
The stiff suspension makes a difference. The old muscle cars had full frames but the springs would flex and give transfering the weight to the back tires. I've never owned a car before that was so hard to control wheel spin as this Mustang. I used to pop the clutch in my old 426 Dodge at 3500 rpms and press the pedal to the metal (street tires: 8.75 x 14). It would spin a little and then go. I won a lot of races on the hole shot alone. I can't even pop the clutch my Mustang at 1800 without spinning endlessly. And forget the press the pedal to the metal. You have to ease it down.

Edit: :eek: Do they sell leaf springs for our Mustangs? :lmao Sorry...:sorry just a thought.

By the way, the only street race I lost with that old Dodge was to a '68 ('69?) Chevelle 396/375hp. I couldn't beleive it when he took me out of the hole. Later I discovered he was running a secret weapon... wide oval polyglass tires... I immediately went out a bought a set.

But that really doesn't change anything. It was easier to launch those old boats on skinny tires than it is our Mustangs. And, it really had nothing to do with weight. It weighed 3800 lbs and a 426 iron big block isn't light.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My coupe weighed 3210lbs with a half tank of gas and no weight reduction. That 250lbs adds up.
Fuel, I did forget to mention that. I was only about 1 gallon off of full. So I had about 30lbs more fuel, 30lbs in stereo equipment, and 70 lbs of my steel tubing under the car. So in an even match you would be just over 100lbs lighter than me.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If you have a factory with a weighing scale or a Waste Management Facility in your area they can do it. It is quite funny to watch.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Shows you how much heavier a vert is. My coupe weighed in at 3375lb with full bolt ons before the supercharger went on. Things that added the most weight were frame connectors, drive shaft safety loop, and cobra front brakes. Would've probably been like 3,315lbs if it was all stock. Now its probably ~ 3,410lbs with the addition of the supercharger.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts