Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a good powder and primer (small pistol & small rifle) price?

I was at the Army Surplus store today and he has TONS of Winchester Primers and all sorts of powder. The primers (all types) are $39 for 1,000 and the powder is $26/lbs.

Before the **** hit the fan I had just decided to get into reloading. My dad gave me his press, tumbler, and scales. I bought some dies and books when the **** went down. I never looked into prices and now I'm left wondering if these are way inflated. Or are they decent and worth buying some? Some one give me a ballpark figure as a comparison.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
That's a little bit high on the primers, but only by a little. I can't comment on the powder without knowing what it is.
I've heard that winchester primers work for regular and mag loads. Is that correct? Powder sounds ok, depending on the brand. I can't answer for the primers, as the one's I have are federal. Sorry :(

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Winchester primers say right on the box, "for standard or magnum loads".

$34 - $35 is about standard in my parts for 1k primers.

Powder varies my type, but a good rule of thumb is $20 per pound.

At those prices your not getting hosed hard core, but I wouldn't be stocking up at those prices.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Winchester primers say right on the box, "for standard or magnum loads".

$34 - $35 is about standard in my parts for 1k primers.

Powder varies my type, but a good rule of thumb is $20 per pound.

At those prices your not getting hosed hard core, but I wouldn't be stocking up at those prices.
I haven't been able to go back and check on the many different powder brands he has. Having company this weekend and trying to get some projects finished before they arrive.

I'm not looking to stock up, just get 1k primers and 1 lbs of powder to start reloading. I figured they would be high since it's the Army Surplus store (and they're always a little high). I just wanted to make sure they were in the ballpark. I didn't want to pay $26 for powder when it's normally around $10.

Thanks everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts