Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
do you mean you have a manual tranny and are shifting at those rpms? or do you mean you have an auto tranny and thats where its automatically shifting? either way your shifting too soon.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
well our cars stop making power at 5250 rpm. and tq at around 4000 or so.

5500 is alright, but i'd suggest 5800 (redline) that way, when you shift into the next gear, it'll be right where you want it powerband wise.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have an auto, and all my best times have come when letting it shift on its own at 5800-5900rpm. Just cause it makes peak power at 5200 dose not mean it dosent make good power after that. I know a lot of people push in 6k, but to me its not worth breaking...

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I have an auto, and all my best times have come when letting it shift on its own at 5800-5900rpm. Just cause it makes peak power at 5200 dose not mean it dosent make good power after that. I know a lot of people push in 6k, but to me its not worth breaking...
i know... did you read everything i said?

·
Registered
230 Posts
i know... did you read everything i said?
My post was directed toword Cesar2cool as an explaination to why he should shift at a higher rpm. I wasn't dissagreeing with you, just giving more info.

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
actually, you are better off shifting slightly after you reach peak hp. its a long write up but it makes sense, i'll try to find it after i get out of class.

·
7.62x39 CO2 Cannon
5,055 Posts
I shift at 6,000 rpm's. Any lower and it has always seemed to slow me down.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ok so its around 5500-5900? im guessing?
The best thing to do is go to the track, launch the same way each time, but try different shift points. Thats what I did. And my best is letting if shift auto at 58-59

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
actually, you are better off shifting slightly after you reach peak hp. its a long write up but it makes sense, i'll try to find it after i get out of class.
That right up is incorrect then...

I run my car all the way to 6K if I'm speed shifting, and 5700 if I'm power shifting (so I don't bounce the limiter my engine). Ask MustangMatt96GT, he tried shifting at 5300ish and he consistently ran MUCH slower then when he was shifting at 5800ish. He also has a non-PI engine, which looses power VERY FAST after 5K. The fastest way down the track with a PI engine is 6K (or a little less when power shifting).

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
i say shift at 5800 to 6000 and you will be good

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
ok so its going to be around 6k right?
Yes, stock internals can handle 6500ish rpm, and valve float doesn't accure until 6200 rpm which is where your stock limiter should be set anyways.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts