Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im finally getting ready to fire my new motor up and have a few questions. First, im getting ready to prime my oiling system. I got an old distributor and cleaned it up and pulled the gear off. Now which way do I need to spin it in order to prime it, clockwise or counter clockwise? Will a cordless drill work?

Also after finally bolting my MAC longtubes up I noticed the steering shaft rag joint comes in contact with one of the primaries. I dont want to pull the header off and dent it, due to them being such a pain to bolt back up. This will be the last time I buy used MACs as they warped, making them really difficult to bolt up. Is there an aftermarket steering shaft that I can get that will allow them to clear? Which one do you recommend?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Most people learn their lesson the first time with Mac products, a cordless drill should work and what kind of shaft would you expect to get?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some steering shafts say they will clear because they eliminate the bulky rag joint. I just wanted wanted to see if anyone else has used them, before I go out and spend the money, and it still doesnt clear.

Also do I spin it clockwise/counter clockwise?

Steering Shafts - Manual and Power Racks - '79-'04 Ford Mustang
"79-93 Steering Shaft for power steering:
Steering shaft with (2) needle bearing universal joints. Eliminates the rag joint for more header clearance and more precise steering. Fits o.e. power rack. does not fit manual rack."

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im sure they would have been alright if I bought them new, but since they were used Im sure they warped. It took probably 2 hours just to get them bolted up.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
so you would rather pay almost $300 rather than take another two-three hours?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im still not sure which way Im going to go, the shaft is a little under 200 so its not that bad. Im just not into pulling the header off and beating on it with a hammer. It just seems like a ******* way of fixing the problem, when a purchasing another shaft will eliminate the problem and save me the headache.

Anyone have any experience with the steeda steering shaft?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts