Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my brother has a 99 cobra with 125K on the clock....

went to change the oil 2 weekends ago and between the pan and the filter there probably wasnt even 2 quarts in it :(

we filled it back to full and have been keeping a close eye on it. It does not leak a drop of oil, which obviously leaves us with the diagnosis that its burning oil.... rapidly

he has had to put 2 quarts in it since the oil change.... and at this rate he will be broke from buying oil!

so, from my basic knowledge of cars, i know there are several things it could be, but is there something that generally happens with the 99 4V motors that causes them to burn oil?

if not, i'm thinking new rings, possible valve stems leaking, etc....

it still runs like a raped ape, so im pretty sure its not a head gasket....ALTHOUGH, its is now starting to smoke on startup and WOT

any help? :eek:

·
Registered
106 Posts
my brother has a 99 cobra with 125K on the clock....

went to change the oil 2 weekends ago and between the pan and the filter there probably wasnt even 2 quarts in it :(

we filled it back to full and have been keeping a close eye on it. It does not leak a drop of oil, which obviously leaves us with the diagnosis that its burning oil.... rapidly

he has had to put 2 quarts in it since the oil change.... and at this rate he will be broke from buying oil!

so, from my basic knowledge of cars, i know there are several things it could be, but is there something that generally happens with the 99 4V motors that causes them to burn oil?

if not, i'm thinking new rings, possible valve stems leaking, etc....

it still runs like a raped ape, so im pretty sure its not a head gasket....ALTHOUGH, its is now starting to smoke on startup and WOT

any help? :eek:
I would say valve guides or rings...:(

·
Registered
663 Posts
My car eats oil, but only at a rate of 1.5 quarts every 3k or so. If I'm at the track and hard on it, faster.

I smoke on WoT, but only the first WoT hit, after that I'm clear. I'm almost certain I need new: O-rings, valve cover gaskets, and valve seals. All relatively easy to do.

A lot of smoking was cut down by adding an air/oil seperator on the PCV side. (Added one on the other side, hasn't collected crap.)

I don't smoke on start-up, but eat oil. (1996)

Unless it is some crazy weird condition, your worst case scnario is rings.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
well... the car took a **** on him today while driving it.... it will start, but wont idle without keeping his foot on the gas.... went dead about 10 times within 20 minutes

also, the right blinker light came on and is staying on on the cluster making it idle terrible and eventually killing it, but when the light goes off the car runs ok.... but the blinker is not blinking

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*****UPDATE******

messed with the car all weekend, trying to figure out what the hell the problem is and why it would not stay running or idle so bad. It was throwing all kinds of codes and you could shut the car off and take the key out, and the cooling fan would stay on

anyways, after much looking around, we found a ground wire that had come loose, and was obviously causing the short... sanded down around it and fastened it and checked and cleaned all the other grounds and it runs just like it did the day we bought it!

We drove it around for about 45 min....i followed him just to see how bad this "bad smoke" was he had been talking about, and the only time it smoke was when he got down on it, a little puff came out of the pipes. It wasnt nothing like I was expecting, even on startup, it was a puff and then everything was fine.

It was a little low on oil, but we filled it up and we are going to watch it all week since he is home for spring break...

he knows next to nothing about cars, and i really believe the car is fine, he is just wanting to get out from under it and is trying to find problems

thanks for all of the suggestions and helpful advice!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have talked to a few owners of the '96 at least and a couple mechanics who deal with a lot of Mustangs. The one today said that they will consume some, but 4 qts?

Your brother waited way too long between oil changes or the car has something wrong internally for it to be eating 4 quarts every 3,000 miles.

Keep an eye on it and see how much it's killing during normal daily driving. Don't rag on the car.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have talked to a few owners of the '96 at least and a couple mechanics who deal with a lot of Mustangs. The one today said that they will consume some, but 4 qts?

Your brother waited way too long between oil changes or the car has something wrong internally for it to be eating 4 quarts every 3,000 miles.

Keep an eye on it and see how much it's killing during normal daily driving. Don't rag on the car.

so far... so good...

he's put about 250 miles on it in the past 2 days (about 60%) city and its still reading full.... still running fine

maybe everything is fine with it

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Do a leak down test, and a compression check. That is way too much oil consumption. Any fuel in the oil?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do a leak down test, and a compression check. That is way too much oil consumption. Any fuel in the oil?
i do want to do a compression check.... we bought a new pcv valve to put in it, going to clean the IAC, and do some general cheap maintenance

will keep posting updates

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i agree, but the more we dig into it, i believe it was more of my brother not knowing what he was talking about for the most part. He had no accurate way of knowing exactly how much he drained, etc., and he is getting pissy everytime we fix something on it because it gives him less reason to sell it

it pisses me off that I've put so much time and effort into fixing different things in it(replaced a half shaft, installed 4.10's, replaced rotors, brakes, hubs, replaced transmission, etc since he bought it back in november), and he doesnt give 2 shits about the car. It has a lot of potential and can be a really nice car if he can get rid of it to someone who would respect it

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
That sux man. Sounds like time to cut him off on the automotive help.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
That's what is wrong with the younger generation today. One of my 3 sisters is doing the same ****. She wants a new car, and her car isn't that old. She has a 2006 G6 that maybe has 40k on it. she comes home a flat tire drove on the rim. My dad was livid. Smashed it twice, and it's her 3rd car. The other two sisters are just as bad. I'm glad I got away from that ****.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts