Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost, yes I've already posted this in the 4V section, but figured some of you might know something on the situation :D

my brother has a 99 cobra with 125K on the clock....

went to change the oil 2 weekends ago and between the pan and the filter there probably wasnt even 2 quarts in it :(

we filled it back to full and have been keeping a close eye on it. It does not leak a drop of oil, which obviously leaves us with the diagnosis that its burning oil.... rapidly

he has had to put 2 quarts in it since the oil change.... and at this rate he will be broke from buying oil!

so, from my basic knowledge of cars, i know there are several things it could be, but is there something that generally happens with the 99 4V motors that causes them to burn oil?

if not, i'm thinking new rings, possible valve stems leaking, etc....

it still runs like a raped ape, so im pretty sure its not a head gasket....ALTHOUGH, its is now starting to smoke on startup and WOT

any help? :eek:

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
It sounds like you are having some serious blow-by issues. If that much oil is coming by the rings, a compression check should identify the problem in short order.

·
Registered
748 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well... the car took a **** on him today while driving it.... it will start, but wont idle without keeping his foot on the gas.... went dead about 10 times within 20 minutes

also, the right blinker light came on and is staying on on the cluster making it idle terrible and eventually killing it, but when the light goes off the car runs ok.... but the blinker is not blinking

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
sounds like a major electrical problem...that is seperate from the oil blow by issue, drive behind him and have him get on it then get out of it and push in the clutch, look for white/blue smoke, thats a good indication of blow by

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
would it be doing that if that alternator was on its way out too? i know it can cause some malfunctions?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
its possible, low voltage to the pcm/bcm can cause all sorts of crazy ****. go to autozone and have them load test the alternator

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
take it off and take it to them they can sometimes test them off the car. although our altenators ancoring points make it hard to keep still in the machine , including the charging cable nut, there are 4 bolts and one connector...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Take the alternator off and they can do it. I work there, we've got a machine that test e'm off the car, it's much more accurate than on the car. It won't take but 2 minutes

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
yeah but when you go to work today just try to pull up the mounting diagram to fit it in the test machine...there is no way to keep it tight with the belt on it...i went through this with mine

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
They should have a bracket to hold them down. It's a special bracket becuase of our lower mounting bolts. I know we have one

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It looks like a jaw puller kind of

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
the autozone by me didnt...i tried 2 different stores, none the less its worth a shot to take it off and take it up there. if you have to replace it you will have to take it off anyway, and they arent expensive

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
good deal... thanks...

will keep yal updated. we have to drive to where my brother goes to college and pick it up on a trailer tomorrow.... then we will begin the investigation

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Thats weird. Maybe our store is different. I didn't know about it till i needed it. Anyways, hope that solves the electical problem!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
well like i say if you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem

1 - 20 of 22 Posts