Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually when I start my car, it turns over maybe 3 or 4 times then starts (like most cars). But sometimes, it will turn over 3 or 4 times, then sound like it's gonna die, then start up fine. And yesterday, it turned over maybe 1/4 turn and fired up immediately which was awesome. Is there anything I can do to make it more consistent or to have it start up immediately every time?

Also, it seems like a lot of people I know with mustangs tend to have 1 fog light out. Is there an easy fix to this or not? It can't be the bulb because sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I checked all the connections and they seemed good. :dunno

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My cars does the same thing. Never found a direct problem or solution. Only correlation I found is revving it before cutting it off affects it.

Head light situation I can't help you with though. I don't have any lol.

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My cars does the same thing. Never found a direct problem or solution. Only correlation I found is revving it before cutting it off affects it.

Head light situation I can't help you with though. I don't have any lol.
And what changes if you rev it before you shut it off?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I got the same problem, like it'll turn over a few times then finally start up but like sputter almost. But if I shut it off after that, then start it up again, it'll start up fine. My friend blames it on my catless midpipe, saying that it throws off the fuel or something on startup because it's not normal backpressure. Idk if he's right or not, but a tune could fix that i'd think

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm thats interesting. I wonder what could be changed on the tune. For what it's worth, I have an afermarket X pipe, but its still catted, 2 high-flow cats

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Yeah, I thought he was wrong, but who knows. The car pretty much sits for a few days before it gets started, so that could be a culprit too....I'd imagine it's either fuel or ignition related.(obviously lol). I just want my car to startup and idle as if it's brand new. That would be great. Someone chime in and learn us a little!

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know, honestly. All I know is it was awesome when it instantly started up lol and I want it to be like that everytime!!! But seriously, I've had fords before and never had this same sort of thing happen. So idk if the starters are mustang-specific or the same style used on other cars, but I dont think it should be like how it is. ***waiting for somebody that knows what the eff we're talking about to chime in***

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
After me revving it and cutting it off, it won't start next time. Tries to but doesn't. Then after sitting it bogs down before starting.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Mine is the same way, but I attributed it to the battery relocation to the trunk.

As for the "backpressure" argument I can't see that affecting it, since they operate in open loop (not even using O2 sensors, just fuel map) for quite awhile until they warm up.

And I assume no one else has any fuel modifications, like PPRV delete?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The only fuel mod I have, if you can consider it that, is an EGR delete. My battery is also relocated to the trunk, but I used 0 gauge wire to avoid any long cranking issues. I'd say that made sense, but after a start and it gets warm, the car starts right up like it should (I think)

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My battery is still at home under the hood, no fuel modifications, and catted x pipe. So there goes all your guys' theories :sorry

Again

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Hmm, than are either of you running any tuners or other fuel/electrical system modifications?

Perhaps an overly rich tune could cause starting issues when it's running in open loop, but when it's warmed up and in closed loop it starts fine? I'm really reaching on this one.

Otherwise it very well could be that Ford just selected a slow starter for this application.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Not sure if you try this, but this is my 'startup' ritual...

Put key in ignition.
Turn to 'on', but don't start.
Listen for fuel pump to prime/build pressure.
Then start.

Not saying the fuel pump isn't fast enough, but I like to wait, and listen for it to come on. That way the fuel rails are fully pressurized,,,,maybe this helps start faster???? IDK,,,it's what I do though.

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
Not sure if you try this, but this is my 'startup' ritual...

Put key in ignition.
Turn to 'on', but don't start.
Listen for fuel pump to prime/build pressure.
Then start.

Not saying the fuel pump isn't fast enough, but I like to wait, and listen for it to come on. That way the fuel rails are fully pressurized,,,,maybe this helps start faster???? IDK,,,it's what I do though.
I do that too. The only time it ever turns over and over and then makes like its going to stall is if I turn on the car right after a *very* short drive, like taking it out of the garage and then turning it off. Even that though, isn't a reliably often occurrence to really be certain it's related. Too much fuel from the pre-mature shut off? Is that even a thing? :dunno

1 - 20 of 29 Posts