Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a brand new Cobra 31 spline unit, new bearings, and superior 31 spline axels......took my diff cover off a week ago and had a few pieces of my spider gears fall out...lol.....I was surprised to see the stock 28 spline stuff last soo long....120,000 miles and 1.56 60 fts and are still going....looks like the diff is on its last leg....for those of you that were following my build it looks like my tranny was fine....all the noise was coming from the rear end.....the new stuff will be in next week......just need the new cams now and to try this huge intake I have sitting next to me...lol.........then off to the track.....

"ED"

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ed, love to see some pics of the build coming along. Or did you post some, and I totally missed them somewhere?

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
good to hear!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Got a brand new Cobra 31 spline unit, new bearings, and superior 31 spline axels......took my diff cover off a week ago and had a few pieces of my spider gears fall out...lol.....I was surprised to see the stock 28 spline stuff last soo long....120,000 miles and 1.56 60 fts and are still going....looks like the diff is on its last leg....for those of you that were following my build it looks like my tranny was fine....all the noise was coming from the rear end.....the new stuff will be in next week......just need the new cams now and to try this huge intake I have sitting next to me...lol.........then off to the track.....

"ED"
LOL......Glad it was a diff! That alone should had some numbers on the dyno:eek:

Huge intake??? are you talking P-51??

Doug

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
what cams are you going with now and +1 on pics

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am still waiting on the cams....I will post some pics next week as I left my camera at the shop after the last cam change...lol....so I will post some soon......just been working on all the little things that I can do at this point like adjusting the suspension, replacing worn parts, bleeding brakes and changing all fluids at this point....the rear end feels really bad right now.....there is soo much play in there and every time my car shifts you hear a thunk....lol.....

"ED"

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh the dead bodies...lol...I don't race for pinks...I race for souls...lol.....and cash in qwick...lamo...

"ED"

·
Registered
689 Posts
yeah the stock diff and axles are tough as **** i had been launching on slicks for a good yeah at 5000 rpm and never had a problem, until i started getting the one wheel peal so i changed out to the detroit locker, how come you didnt go with c clip eliminators?

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
It's good to know my stockers will last a good while nonetheless...good luck ED!

·
Registered
812 Posts
ah cool! I'd love to move up to a 31 spline set up, a whole make over on the rear end, but dont want to spend my money. Be sure to post pics :p

·
Registered
244 Posts
whats crackalakin Ed, you and Dave still havn't figured out a cam, what the ef man, I guess I can't say much, the only I have for my new motor is new pistons, lol, anyways, Im itching to see how that thing turns out with the cams and all, I should be back in country around april may time frame, hopefully, and I can finish my monster, Im pretty stoked about the 5.3 with the tfs heads, anyways man, dont leave me in the dark, let me know how it turns out

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will do Bro.....I am just doing some much needed replacement parts and upgrades at this point.....once the rear is in tomorrow I can take her back to the track and see what she can really do.....I am anxious to see what she has at this point......once I get the new cams in and installed I will test the intake to see what she can really do....I bet it will wake her up.....kinda wanna see what she puts down after the rear is fixed.....there is alot of slop and noise coming from the rear......lol

"ED"

·
Registered
978 Posts
ah cool! I'd love to move up to a 31 spline set up, a whole make over on the rear end, but dont want to spend my money. Be sure to post pics :p
man me too!! i want that 31 so bad but dont want to spend the money for it!!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well...I just got back and 31 set up is in.....all I can say awsome...no more slop in the rear and I can finally get on it again.......we had to grind and torch the old unit out lol.......the wrist pin was bent and wouldn't budge and one side of my spider gears were almost gone.......she lasted a good 120,000 so I can complain.....the car hits perfect and feels alot better and stronger shifting........there was about 3mm of play where the wrist pin meets the spider gear and it torqued the pin to where it was almost welded to the spider gear...lol....sorry I didn't get any pics but I did get my camera back..lol...I left it at the shop when I got the cam in.....I will charge it and put the photos up I had from the cam install......she is very stout out the hole now and pulls great on the 1-2....I havn't even opened her up all the way yet......I just need to put another 100 or so miles on the diff before I thrash it...lol.....still waiting on the cams....so stay tuned...

"ED"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well...I just got back and 31 set up is in.....all I can say awsome...no more slop in the rear and I can finally get on it again.......we had to grind and torch the old unit out lol.......the wrist pin was bent and wouldn't budge and one side of my spider gears were almost gone.......she lasted a good 120,000 so I can complain.....the car hits perfect and feels alot better and stronger shifting........there was about 3mm of play where the wrist pin meets the spider gear and it torqued the pin to where it was almost welded to the spider gear...lol....sorry I didn't get any pics but I did get my camera back..lol...I left it at the shop when I got the cam in.....I will charge it and put the photos up I had from the cam install......she is very stout out the hole now and pulls great on the 1-2....I havn't even opened her up all the way yet......I just need to put another 100 or so miles on the diff before I thrash it...lol.....still waiting on the cams....so stay tuned...

"ED"
Kewl, no more slop. With that many hard miles you did good! Damn, I wanted pics of the carnage....LOL. Atleast you got your camera back. 100 miles...Bull&(^p if they built it right you can thrash it now and nothing will change.

Staying tuned like a kid waiting for xmas:eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts