Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now when I'm on the highway in 5th gear (3.31 rear) and give it about 1/3 throttle I get a real bad miss. I re-checked the connections on the COPs and the injectors (unplugged them to give me some less clutter to work around). Is there anything else I should check? I put quite a bit of anti-seize on the plugs when I put them back in, but made sure there was none on the tip. Also, i used PB blaster to spray down in the plug recesses when I was trying to break them loose and when they did come out it leaked down in the cylinder, it smoked pretty bad when I first started it but stopped quickly. Any ideas let me know what y'all think.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
What did you gap them to? Where did you put the anti seize? What kind of anti seize did you use?

This is another reason why I don't like to spray anything in there without absolutely needing it and than sucking it out. I'm not sure if PB Blaster is even safe or not.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
What plugs, what gap...

Please tell me you did NOT put anti seize on the threads if they are autolites.

Pull all the plugs again, check the gap, make sure none are fouled, make sure none of the tips have anti-seize on the tips, etc.

Before you do all that, check all 8 injector plugs and all 8 cops to make sure they are plugged in.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I did not put anti-seize on the threads, I put it on the sleave part that breaks off and I made sure not to get any on the tip of the plug. These were the stock plugs that came from the factory in the car. I plan on putting some HT0s in the car between December and March when I get my nitrous kit, so I decided while I had a little bit of free time last Sunday I would pull my plugs and see 1. If they looked like I had been running rich or lean (they looked perfect) and 2. Put some anti-seize on them so when I go to put the HT0s in when I do the nitrous kit I'm not dealing with a broken plug as well. I used the ford specified nickel anti-seize. They are gapped to whatever they were when frank at the ford factory put them in while on the assembly line, which have worked just fine until today. I was also thinking maybe one is fouled but it's only missing at part (less than half) throttle while the car is under load. Doesn't do it at idle or anything more than half throttle, that is what is confusing me. I double checked the connections for the COPs and injectors again and they are all secure and pluged in properly. I will try to pull them agan tomorrow and check if any of them are fouled.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Why is this a problem???

I would check for codes.
Because on cars with the two-piece plug design, when you go to remove them they break.

There is an 11 page TSB that tells you how to remove them. It involves loosening them 1/8 of a turn and putting some throttle body cleaner in the spark plug holes and letting them soak.

If you put anti-seize on the threads, then you prevent the cleaner from soaking down past the threads and getting to the shaft below the threads and above the electrodes where the carbon builds up and causes breakage.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
it could be a dead plug. I have gotten a few new plugs that were dead on arival and a couple that would only miss at part throttle in overdrive at highway speeds. Worth a look? They were all champion plugs btw

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
There's a ways to do it but at this point I'd recommend just buying the tool. It's a $30 tool and you're going to use it again, probably.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
is there a way to do it without the special tool? What should I gap them at, factory specs or something else?

didn't think about that. I really hope that's not what happened.
Buy the special tool if you are going to stay with Autolite plugs.

If you switch to Champion or Brisk Silver Racing plugs, you won't need the special tool.

Gap them to factory specification since you are normally aspirated.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I'm still at work but I did have another question. How much anti-seize should I put on? I put quite a bit of it and am thinking maybe some of it squeezed down into the cylinder and got on part of the tip. I'm going to pull them tonight if it doesn't rain and clean them off and check for any fouling. As soon as I get the tool to gap them I will pull them again make sure that's good.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok, on wednesday I pulled the plugs and none of them were fouled so I cleaned the excess anti-seize off of them and re-installed. Still had the miss. So, today I decided to make my own spark plug gapper since the $30 one that was suggested just seemed to simple for me not to make on my own. I checked and all the plugs were just slightly more than .45 so I readjusted all of them to .45 and now the miss is gone. Which really confuses me! How is it that they worked perfectly up until this point? When I pulled them even though none of them broke could the outer sleeve moved just enough to open the gap up enough to cause problems?

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
check all the connections for the cop's and injectors by pulling up on them to make sure they are locked...alot of times you will break off the locking tab while removing them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
check all the connections for the cop's and injectors by pulling up on them to make sure they are locked...alot of times you will break off the locking tab while removing them.
All the connections were perfect. I checked and double checked them everytime I pulled them as that would have been an easy fix. What I'm wondering now is how would the gap have changed or if it didn't why did they work before since changing the gap fixed the problem?

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
not sure, i didint gap my ht0's i just checked them all and threw them in..no problems, i do know that it doesint take much anti sieze to foul a plug, maybee it fixed itself

·
Registered
381 Posts
All the connections were perfect. I checked and double checked them everytime I pulled them as that would have been an easy fix. What I'm wondering now is how would the gap have changed or if it didn't why did they work before since changing the gap fixed the problem?
I feel that on the install you have had a plug not seat maybe. There is no way that the gap caused that. Big mystery!

On a second note. Whats wrong with putting antiseize on plug threads? If you have antiseize on the thread then you dont have to worry bout them breaking and dont have to use cleaner to get them out! And a lil antiseize goes a long ways. Your supposed to use antiseize on any aluminum threads or studs especially when heat and water is involved with it! I have used it on the threads and never had a problem and have never used any cleaner. Never had a miss or any fouled plugs and I check and change them often with N2O!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts