Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday our local 1/8th mile opened for some test and tune runs. It was great timing because I had just finished installing a new tune. My results sucked!

Not because of the tune or the mods, just NO traction. I tried with TCS and without. Even tried feathering out then nailing it. The first run it was blowing out the tires almost half way down the track. I really looked like an idiot, but I couldn't get the damn thing to hook up. I'm sure the relatively cold track surface temps (76) and the 20" BFG's had a lot to do with it.

This will be my next mod! Help me out here guys (& gals).

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
if you are just looking for some track performance get a set of cheapy v6 16 inchers and some MT ET Streets for them or if you still have your stock 17's then use them and get some stickies put on them.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
What is your preparation sequence like when you heat your tires, Half track (even in an 1/8th mile) with those few mods even on a poorly prepped track is unreasonable. You should be able to compensate and do better.

Did you avoid the water box entirely? Did you do any burnout? After burnout, did you dry hop the car to scuff the tires a tad?

Doing a combination of the above I got my car with 20's and a cold air intake only to cut consistent 1.8 60ft's which is awesome for a 20" no sidewall giving tire.

now a days the 20's are useless. Do us a favor and let us know your staging methods.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you want a race car your wasting your money on mods. If you want to get the most out of what you have and enjoy your car for what it is (a streetcar) keep your wallet in your pocket and drive it the way it is.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
If you want a race car your wasting your money on mods. If you want to get the most out of what you have and enjoy your car for what it is (a streetcar) keep your wallet in your pocket and drive it the way it is.
Absolutely false.

For relatively little money this platform can be enhanced to perform exceptionally well in drag, road course, and straight up street performance.

Why would you even waste your time in this thread let alone this forum if you felt that way..

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
:no :crazy :eek:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm not wasting my time, I'm saving somebody else from blindly spending money on things they know little about or have false expectations.
It amazes me how many idiots mod their car with no plan or throw money at things and don't even understand what the consequenses are.
These cars are NOT meant to be drag cars or road cars. Yes they can fun street perfomance machines. They are factory production cars that can be "enhanced" but never truly become a full blown drag or road race car.

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
Have you ever seen the street class at the drag strip?In your opinion what exactly are drag cars suppose to be built out of? Im pretty sure these "idiots ( evidently Im included in this group as well )" know exactly what they are doing when they "throw their money away." If they dont that is why we have forums like this to ask/answer questions and get opinions. What exactly are the consequences of modding a car? I think this would be a good time for you to find somewhere else to go troll around on...

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
I'm not wasting my time, I'm saving somebody else from blindly spending money on things they know little about or have false expectations.
It amazes me how many idiots mod their car with no plan or throw money at things and don't even understand what the consequenses are.
These cars are NOT meant to be drag cars or road cars. Yes they can fun street perfomance machines. They are factory production cars that can be "enhanced" but never truly become a full blown drag or road race car.
Well tell me where you can buy a full blown drag car off of a showroom floor :eek:

It is not blindly spending money. It is putting money into something you enjoy. It is fun to mod the car and see how it responds to those mods. That is the beauty of it. They can be made full blown drag cars or road cars, for little money comparatively speaking. This is what this site is here for, to give people the information that they need to make an informed purchase to make their car better. You shouldn't be here discouraging someone from tweaking their car to their liking.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All that from a guy who runs snow tires! Maybe my question should have been studs or chains....LOL

I tried it with the water box and without. Heating up the tires worked the best but you guys are 100% about using slicks instead of 20's. It was a last minute "hey let's go mess around" trip. We tried just hammering it without the TCS after the tires were heated up and that really worked the best understanding we were running street tires, slicks would have probably made everything all right.

Okay now somebody throw a snowball at that guy! Buffalo,NY GEEZ!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh yeah.....

I got my slicks and rims today. Nice find on Craigslist. $300 rims and tires.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
yeah with slicks i can drop it from 5 grand and you're straight up gone. with street tires you can't just hit the gas though you have to learn your car and this is something that may take you quite a few runs if you are not used to going to the track. you have to find the right rpm to launch at on any particular night. one night it could be 1500 and the next it could be 1900. it all depends on track conditions and weather.

·
Registered
78 Posts
1FastFox:
I joined this forum a year ago with the hopes of getting some useful information but all I've seen are posts such as:
Help, I installed (fill in the blank) and now my car won't start or I put this part on and now I have a vibration or my favorite, what mod should I do now?
What a bunch of crap!
Most of the people posting can't even put a sentence together it's no wonder they have problems with their cars.
This may also explain why they can't (or won't)communicate with the people who have the answers to their problems, the manufacturers.
Guess they're afraid to sound like the stupid idiots they are on the phone so they sit behind the keyboard and spew the same garbage over and over.
If nothing else, this forum is entertaining. Definitly not helpful.......
Oh yeah, I didn't say throw their money away, read the post. I said throw money at things and don't understand the consequences meaning they are uninformed of the potential benefit/risk of their purchase.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PonyUp, I don't know what you define "Useful Information" as but it works both ways. When I joined it was for the same basic reason as you just laid out. To get useful information. I agree that some threads are weak but that is a very small percentage of them. It is very worth while to learn from the owners how products perform and how they use those products to improve their performance. When a member contributes comments and experiences we all benefit.

For me I have raced in the 5.0 classes but this S197 and modular motors are a whole new ballgame. Carbs vs. EFI big difference. I guess I could call Henry Ford an "Idiot" if he asked about the best way to crank start his Ford. Technology changes things.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Well Pony, if guys so well informed like yourself would actually help the uniformed, more of those posts would go away..

Looking at your whopping 75 posts and the negativity towards a car you clearly haven't a clue yourself how to build, I'm positive your just a backyard hack that can't help anyone work towards useful solutions..

Tell JPC and Burcham himself this car can't be a drag car, and the pluthera of other pony builders that put this car into the 9's. You sound foolish and that's pretty sad.

The forum is in place to help the uninformed get in touch with the better informed for help. Educating has to occur for people to move forward. Unlike yourself we all weren't born with our knowledge we had to absorb it from elsewhere.

A majority of the people here pick up making additions as a hobby to the ownership of the car. No intention is set forth to full blown race, only enhance. While you degrade them, others of us choose to help. Keep in mind the members to this site have grown immensly over the last 12 months. With growth, comes more people requiring educating. There will always be repeats, it's the nature of forum life..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, finally an agreement on something! Although I think you're being too kind when you say some threads are weak.
Most are garbage ie, what do you think of these wheels, what spoiler do you like, do you like my new grill. All crap!
Most comments are not worthwhile but rather opinions of "enthusiast" with more money than brains.
Garbage in, garbage out.
Good luck with your car. I would suggest talking to a tuner at a reputable shop to assist you in your modular motor endeavors.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I sit here minding my own business reading and enjoying this forum and dont say much but i've got to voice my 2 cents. This forum has been nothing but helpful to me. With the experience and knowledge everyone has on here and the advice everyone gives its saved me alot of money and given me some direction to go with my modding. Then we get some idiot on here thinking he's so much smarter and better than everyone, well thats just the sort of thing that really pisses me off. If you cant be helpful and enjoy this forum like everyone else then i suggest you stay the f#$k off this site.

Thanks to everyone else for their help!!!!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey, American Muscle. So you follow the advice on this forum huh?
Well I guess that means you've drained you bank account and your car is probably at some shop getting the previous mod redone because the first four times it either didn't turn out like you thought or it didn't run right or it was too loud or not loud enough......... blah, blah, blah.
Too many kids in here spouting opinions and not fact.
garbage in, garbage out.
Emay, don't be a fool. It's people like you that encourage others to have the biggest, fastest, shiniest, most whatever on the planet.
You must be compensating for something..........

1 - 20 of 75 Posts