Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i drove the car down to autozone last night to get a new serp belt to fit the p/s stuff i installed monday and as soon as i pull in car dies. i didnt think anything of it, got the belt installed and fired her up. it was running really low idle, stumbling on accelaeration, and rich as hell. i limped it home and wasted the next two hour checking timing and carb adjustments and still no solution. i finally gave up when i noticed the cat was glowing red!! i pulled it back in the garage and shaw this black spot

on the ground where the muffler was.

any advice guys? it been a long time since i have messed with carbs:sorry

thanks in advance

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no. do you have to pull the metering blocks to do that?

i forgot to mention that it did this to me a couple weeks ago coming home from a buddy and i limped it back but by the time i got home it was running fine.

if the floats stick does that cuase the carb to dump fuel like crazy? how do i check the floats? i feel stupid lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
it does sound like the carb to me too. Try runnin some sea foam directly into you fuel inlet hose, let it sit for ab 10 minutes, and then start runnin the fuel to it again and see if it gets any better. Its worked wonders for me quiet a few times without having to bu a full gasket kit and totally tear down the carb

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i did som research. so the srcrew on top of the two bowls of the carb are to adjust the float levet correct? and the two screws on the side of the bowls would be the sight plugs? so i should empty the bowls, bring the floats as low as the can go, start the car and raise the floats until fuel just start to come out of the sight plug hole?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cant the floats fill up with fuel and basically sink making the carb just keeping pour fuel into the intake?

jeez it been a long time since i messed with carbs...

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
Personally to me the Glowing red cat, would indicate a lean issue to me and too much timing... You should adjust the floats so that fuel is just dripping out of the plugs on the side...

Then you need to see what jets are in the carb, you may have too small of jets.

And then you need to check the timing, actually would be doing this first IMO...

I see your in Bakersfield, are you an engineer?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats what i would think about the cat, unless its plugged.

yes im an engineer of sorts

·