Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a Mazda 3 with drive-by-wire and was telling me about how he was planning to ground his throttle body since it reduces the delay in throttle response with cars that have drive-by-wire. I was wondering if anyone has done this with their mustang and if they actually noticed a difference... It seems easy enough to do, and if it gets rid of the "dead space" in my gas pedal, then I'm all for it haha... any input is appreciated guys, thanks!

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Reactions: SoCalGT2005

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thank you!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok question though - isn't it possible to over do it and have the pedal too close to the brushes? like where its giving throttle all the time?

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
ok question though - isn't it possible to over do it and have the pedal too close to the brushes? like where its giving throttle all the time?

Nope, well I guess technically you can, but I don't think one will get close to trying to put that much tape on there. If they are that dumb they should just leave the brick on the pedal and skip the tape. Anyways if you get the pedal a bit too far, the computer recalibrates the pedal to determine the idle point anyways.. It's not like you will ever start your car and it will rev up to 4K RPM. Trust me and all of the happy folks who have done this.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol alright then

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I've heard of the "grounding" trick before on drive by wire cars. A buddy of mine did that to his girl's Focus, and said it really was a noticable difference. I've been meaning to do that to my mother's focus, and then possibly the stang'.

·
"Spectre" Veteran
492 Posts
Hmm...anything that gets a stronger signal is a plus when speaking electronics. If it does ANYTHING, it was something needed done, I say.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
the throttle body has a ground wire in it's harness. SO I wouldn't worry about it. A LOT of people in the import world talk about adding grounds to increase performance. You can take it however you want, but if the engine needed more grounds, an engineer at Ford would have done it.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Yeah, I don't see anyone noticing a difference in the time it takes for the electricity to go down that length of wire. And if there is a difference it's because your ground is bad.

·
"Spectre" Veteran
492 Posts
True...but my point was that it was needed, as in, if you noted improvement, you would likely have a bad ground in the first place. Maybe just fix that if you did see it, huh?

·
BWAL Is My Hero
15,891 Posts
A 5 volt reference signal is what the TB uses IIRC. So as long as your getting the full range 0 or 1 to 5 volts why would you add more grounding? Your not going to get any better than that. The only reason to add a ground would be if you had a bad ground in the first place. I agree with Urban. If for some reason a better ground was needed, it would have happend at the factory. As far as the OP's friend getting a improvment in perfromance from grounding the throttle body, unless he has a time slip or dyno sheet to prove it, I'd take that performance increase with a grain of salt.

Are the MS6's known for ground issues? What prompted the idea besides other guys with imports having done this in the passed?

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
finally got a chance to try the tape thing and I actually noticed a difference haha reps 07Boss

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
finally got a chance to try the tape thing and I actually noticed a difference haha reps 07Boss
Cool little mod huh? Everybody who has tried it has been pleasantly surprised.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts