Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm looking into possibly getting a GPS unit for my car. Based on your experiences, can you give me your recommendations? If you could list positives and negatives I'd appreciate it.

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Do you want in dash or portable? I have had two Garmin Nuvis. They have always worked great, however lately I have had two charger cords go bad. I don't know what the hell is going on with that or what is causing it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want a portable unit, like TomTom's, Garmin's, etc.

What specific models do you have? Do you have to pay to update the maps?

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
I had a TomTom 130. It worked great. Only issue I had is the screen is small and when trying to type in an address my big fingers hit the wrong letters/numbers alot. I was like 2 map updates behind and TomTom wanted $80 for the update. Would of ALMOST been cheaper to buy a whole new GPS.

That plus I did not help things when it got closed between the door and my dash cracking the screen. I can use mine now, but I cant type in an address since the screen has like 5 cracks on it :(

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a TomTom 130. It worked great. Only issue I had is the screen is small and when trying to type in an address my big fingers hit the wrong letters/numbers alot. I was like 2 map updates behind and TomTom wanted $80 for the update. Would of ALMOST been cheaper to buy a whole new GPS.

That plus I did not help things when it got closed between the door and my dash cracking the screen. I can use mine now, but I cant type in an address since the screen has like 5 cracks on it :(
So you have to pay to update maps w/ TomTom's. Is it the same for others?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Garmin's, Tom Tom's, Magellans are all great manufacturers. When I used to install I would always try and sell the Garmin's though just cause of the little things that they have.

1) Garmin has their own maps and satelites that are used only by them and sometimes are contracted through the military.

2) They have relay stations built on the ground to enhance your signal by that much more "almost" eliminating the dead spots.

3) All other companies use a standard GPS triangulation where it can get you withing 5-15 meters of your actual location whereas Garmin uses WAAS that is also used by the flight administration to calculate your location to within less then 3 meters of your actual location.
Garmin: What is WAAS?

Garmin does have a bad habit of the cords breaking so it may happen to yours if you purchase one. just be careful of where you pull the unit. The other companies are great as well but just dont have some of the features that Garmin has.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
So you have to pay to update maps w/ TomTom's. Is it the same for others?
yes, all companies you have the option to purchase yearly updates if you want to. They are not required. If you mainly use it in your area that you are a little more familiar with then you dont really have to. but if you were going on a road trip to an area that you have never been before then you might want to update it so that you dont get lost.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have any recommendations of specific models?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
it all depends on what options you are looking for and how much money you are trying to spend. Do you want Bluetooth for traffic updates from your phone, music streaming? Do you want text to speech: to actually say the street names instead of just turn left and right? Need to know more on what exactly you want out of it and then I can recommend something for you.

·
MM's Resident Muffler Shop
3,048 Posts
Magellan Maestro 4700 FTMFGDW!!!!

Just go to best buy and play around w/ some different units until you find something you like

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
pretty much go with anything Garmin, Tom Tom, or Magellan. anything else stay away from IMHO

·
Registered
751 Posts
i've got a becker paid 170 for it and it works pretty good it's about 600 ft off of everything tho. and it has to stay plug up in the car but it works fine for me.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it all depends on what options you are looking for and how much money you are trying to spend. Do you want Bluetooth for traffic updates from your phone, music streaming? Do you want text to speech: to actually say the street names instead of just turn left and right? Need to know more on what exactly you want out of it and then I can recommend something for you.
I'd like something simple. The bluetooth, music, text to speech isn't necessary at all. If the unit says the street name and distance it would be a big bonus.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
in that case just go to Bestbuy, as mentioned, and play around with them. they sometimes have some on sale that do text to speech for under 200.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts