Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to gravity flush brakes with one person and making sure no air gets into the system? I tried getting a speed bleeder, but it it 3/8 thread and my bleeder screw in the rear drums are something like 1/8 or 3/16". If when I get to the front wheels, the bleeder fits, I will use it there, but can't on the rear drum.
I could do it the old way, but then I'd have to wait til I had someone to help with the pedal. I read about gravity bleeding and if I understand it right, you pump the brakes until they're hard with the ignition off and then go to the rear bleeder valve and just crack it (with no one touching the brake pedal) and wait until the fluid stops coming out into a catch can (end NOT submerged in brake fluid since the pedal never moves). Then you tighten the bleeder screw, go back and pump up some more pressure (making sure to never pump the brake pedal with the bleeder screw loose). Go back to the rear bleeder screw and bleed off that pressure, then repeat enough times to flush the system completely. Rear pass first, then rear driver, front pass, then lastly front driver. I'm thinking this will work as long as the brake pedal isn't touched? I have 64 oz (1/2gal) of brake fluid.

2 questions:
1) will this method work?
2) is 64 oz enough to flush the entire brake system?

·
The Big Spoon
3,214 Posts
I have done it that way with sucess in the past. I left them open for an hour or so while keeping an eye on the level. Worst case, do it that way for now and get help later for the rear. i doubt you will need to re do the front.

·
June 2010 ROTM
1,913 Posts
If I were you, I would purchase a pressure bleeder. Motive makes one..

Motive Products Shopping Cart

Works well. The one above, you put the cap on the brake resevoir, pump it to about 15 psi, then go crack the bleeder open. It will push the old fluid out.

I have the other kind... mine attaches to the bleeder itself. Pump up the pressure, it it sucks the fluid trough. Works like a champ.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
just get a piece of hose that fits over the bleeder opening put it in a empty can and pump the pedal with the top of the reservoir open...

how can that be hard?

only takes one person.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Gravity bleeding works. Just make sure you do not let the master run dry. If you do, you will need a second person to bleed the master.

If I were you, I would purchase a pressure bleeder. Motive makes one..

Motive Products Shopping Cart

Works well. The one above, you put the cap on the brake resevoir, pump it to about 15 psi, then go crack the bleeder open. It will push the old fluid out.

I have the other kind... mine attaches to the bleeder itself. Pump up the pressure, it it sucks the fluid trough. Works like a champ.
I have had nothing but BAD, BAD luck with pressure bleading. I have used a pressure bleader in the past and have had to replace a couple master cylinders after doing it.

As for the style the sucks the fluid through....... Unless you use teflon tape on the threads of the bleeders (I would not use teflon tape on ANYTHING brake related), it is unlikely that the bleeder screw seals in its threads tight enough to not let air get sucked through the threads while suction bleeding (maybe if the bleeder fits in the threads unusually tight).

Play it safe and Just stick with gravity blleding or the two man job......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts