Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my grill is looking a little worn out and at the moment I don't have the money to drop on a Mach 1 grill delete. So I'm thinking for the time being I'll simply paint it. I want to redo the pony with a chrome paint, the piece around that in white (to match my car), and the honeycomb in black but I can't decide if I should go with matte black or gloss black. Same with the white, matte or gloss? Opinions?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
id go gloss white, matte black. if you dont do a shiny white, its going to look too weird.

·
Registered
978 Posts
i second that notion. shiny white will just look to........ummm.......shiny! ;)

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
I can tell you right now, the Pony will not look the same painted with that Chrome stuff. I used it on some bolts once since they were lookin really bad. Lasted until I put some torque on them Lol. However it just does not look the same. The Pony is more of a reallllly gloss/reflective Silver. Its not really a chrome, but close.

Gloss White and Matte Black will look stock with a little bit added flare (the white).

Take your time on the painting. Sand it well and prep it well and it will last. Never spray heavy. Use an adhesion promoter as well before the primer. It will help the primer stick good to the plastic.

Reactions: McQueen

·
Rebel Of The Sacred Heart
2,338 Posts
I agree with the gloss white, flat black. And Zat is right, chrome spraypaint doesnt look much like chrome, ive never liked the look of spraycan chrome.

Untilm i found Alsa Corp. and there many amazing paint products, including chrome paint that really looks like chrome lol. They have a system using spray cans now, so you no longer need spray gun setups to spray chrome things. Of course i wouldnt recomend chroming something big with the spray cans. K Sit down for this

The kit is 115 dollars, but its the only way youll get a sprayed chrome look that you are happy with. The only thing about the Alsa clear, is you have to have an ABSOLUTLY flawless finish on your clearcoat before you start dusting the chrome on there, or it will look horrible. That means no dust nibs, orange peel , etc.

Alsa Corp | Killer Cans Killer Chrome

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, if I had that kind of money I would totally do that but sadly this is just a touch up project until I get some other stuff fixed then put on a Mach 1 delete. But bad news, the guy that owned the car before me messed up all but 1 of the screws holding the grill in place. I guess I get to order new mounting hardware for that before I start pulling it off and painting.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Alright... before you do all this, lets crunch some numbers:

Mounting hardware for Grill: $4.99 + $15.00 shipped = $20.00
1 Can of Adhension Promoter: $6.00
1 Can of Primer: $3.00
1 Can of Gloss White: $6.00
1 Can of Flat Black: $6.00
1 Can of Clear: $6.00
1 Can of Chrome paint: $10.00
Assorted Sand Paper: $10.00
Time: Whats your time worth?

Total: $67.00 + Time

Now, lets round that DOWN to $60.00 + Time

Mach1 Grill Delete w/ Discount: $65.79 + 1/2 the Time needed for option 1

Surely you see where I am going with this?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright... before you do all this, lets crunch some numbers:

Mounting hardware for Grill: $4.99 + $15.00 shipped = $20.00
1 Can of Adhension Promoter: $6.00
1 Can of Primer: $3.00
1 Can of Gloss White: $6.00
1 Can of Flat Black: $6.00
1 Can of Clear: $6.00
1 Can of Chrome paint: $10.00
Assorted Sand Paper: $10.00
Time: Whats your time worth?

Total: $67.00 + Time

Now, lets round that DOWN to $60.00 + Time

Mach1 Grill Delete w/ Discount: $65.79 + 1/2 the Time needed for option 1

Surely you see where I am going with this?
Well I had flat black paint and sandpaper already. I picked up the rest of the paints for $15 total. I refuse to pay the $15 shipping for only a few screws so I'll be ordering them when I order my clutch kit. Even if you say half the shipping goes for the screws it still comes to a total of $27.50 and depending on what I decide to do as far as having the car repainted, I might end up keeping the stock grill.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
If you already had some of the supplies and you oped to not get the mounting hardware, then it would be cheaper. However IMO I would just wait and get the delete kit :2cents

Regardless what you decided, post up some pics when you do it.

Take your time painting. Use light coats, never heavy. The more time to take on it, the better it will turn out and the longer it will last.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Question about the mounting hardware. Right now I can twist 3 of the 4 screws and they won't tighten or loosen (they spin totally freely). I have one screw however that will catch and tighten or back out of the hole. For those 3 screws, can I just pry them out (along with their holder) then pop them back in when I'm done? It seems like they're holding the grill in place just fine at this point, I'm just worried if I pry them out that will be the end of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.