Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today did a oil change on the mustang. Took it for a spin after it warmed up a bit(wasnt fully warmed up) So I was cruising down the road near my house and when I go into 4th it grind for like a split second then go into gear.

After driving it for a bit it warmed up fully the gears didnt grind at all....

Im basically just asking I only have 75k miles on the mustang when is the normal time the synchros typically go bad? this is a 2000 GT.

Cause I did my research and learned that its not worth changing the synchros and better to just get a new tranny?

Also should I just wait or should I plan to get it replaced soon. Wasnt cold outside either maybe around 69-72.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I also found that when I first start driving my 3-4 shift will be a little rough, but i usually take it slow and I don't have any problems. I have a 00 with 55k on the odometer

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
It is not normal for gears to grind. That said I have found that fourth will grind if you don't have enough speed for that gear. (Practicing I tried speed shifting through all the gears at 20 mph. Fourth had a problem. At 90 mph, fourth does not have a problem)Same for fifth. If you are just cruising and you pop it out of fifth going to fourth and change your mind, ease it back into fifth or else it will grind a little.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I also found that when I first start driving my 3-4 shift will be a little rough, but i usually take it slow and I don't have any problems. I have a 00 with 55k on the odometer
:eek: Only 55k? Your car isn't even broken in yet! :)

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
When its cold cold, like below 30, the trannys will some times grind. Ill double clutch it, and put in the shifter really slow.

Sometimes it happens man, you should be okay

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
if you are too slow to put it in gear it will grind. If your 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are fine, I wouldnt worry too much about it.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
i have less than 70k on mine and mine has had synchros problems from day 1 but then again mines a t-45

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I took it back out and ran it and it shifted fine though my clutch cable....seems a bit lose so Ill go in and see if it needs to be retightened. If not replaced...not sure when any of the cables (TB or Clutch) have been replaced or tightened.

I remember when I first purchased it they did put a new Ford HD clutch in and the clutch pedal I remember being stiff and now it seems slightly stiff but not like what it use to be. Im guessing is that just clutch wear?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts