Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i got this motor in my car and everytime i go to start it, it just makes a grinding sound from the starter what could be causeing this and how can i fix it?
its not the flywheel cause thats brand new
and also the starter was just put on the other day brand new also

im thinking it might be a shiming issue but not 100% any info on this would be great thanks

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Maybe it's not lined up with the fly wheel right. Or could be that you have a starter that doesn't match your flywheel.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it happend outta the blue so hopefully its just not lined up correctly
cause it was running fine for about a month

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i checked that and one is lose but when i got to tightin it, its already as tight as it will get but the parts on the bolt itself are kinda lose

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
What parts on the bolts? Like the starter itself will move around on the threads of the bolt?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no alright i took the starter off and it looks like the gear inside the starter isnt coming and engaging with the flywheel anyone know why?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Did you put the inspection plate back in? if that is missing or damaged the starter could be missaligned. If its grinding then the gear is obviously coming out to the flywheel.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i sat under it today while my girl turned the key to crank it and the flywheel tried to move and the starter was going but it just made that grinding sound and didnt turn over

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
its most likely a weak starter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i had it tested yesterday also before i put it back on and it passed...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The starter test at auto zone only checks max and steady load draw. This will NOT tell you if the bendix is weak and wont shoot your starter gear out hard or far enough. Those tests are only good for testing the motor itself.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i watched it when it was tested it shot the gear out and spun then shot back in

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
it could be too week to do it when it has to engage the starter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts