Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey this is my first post but i need some help.. i have a 1998 GT 5spd. the tranny is the t5 i belive. when i shift from 1st to second quickly it grinds real bad, but only when i shift fast. my guess was the synchronizers...any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i went down the street, got up to speed then engaged the clutch and quickly went from 1st to 2nd several times back and forth, still grinds with clutch pedal fully pressed in.

·
"Spectre" Veteran
492 Posts

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
It's a T45, and mine does it, too. It did it before a rebuild, it still does it after a rebuild.

I chalk it up to "they just do that". Maybe I'm being too complacent, though.

You do have an aftermarket shifter, though, right? If not, you need one.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I just posted this today on another board, in response to a questions as to what transmissions were recently used---thought it might be of interest here:

From the Red Book:

Fitment:

• '94 to '95 used the Borg-Warner produced T-5;
  • '96 to '98 used the Borg-Warner produced T-45
  • '99 to '01-1/2 used the Tremec produced T-45;
  • '01-1/2 to '04 used the Tremec 3650;

Input Torque Ratings:

• the BW T-5 is rated for 300 lbft (I have seen 310 in some sources);
  • the BW T-45 is rated for 320 lbft;
  • the Tremec T-45 is rated for 325 lbft;
  • the Tremec 3650 is rated for 360 lbft;

Ouput torque ratings would be the input torque limit times the selected gear ratio.

The OEM T-56 used in the Cobras is rated for 450 lbft input torque.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
mines does that now and as soon as the engine comes out, so is the tranny. promotion rebuild with carbon synchros. YEA!!!!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha i dont know what im gonna do.. i think i have a bad pressure plate.. so we will see how bad it gets and i guess im on the look out for cheap t-5's or t-45's :)
and i dont have a short throw shifter. but i do have the tri-ax handle with the hurst pistol grip handle... maybe a short throw would help??

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
where are you located? and how many miles?

·
Registered
210 Posts
i used to be in hamtpton ,va but deployed the tranny has about 15-20k on it all highway i used to drive back and forth from va to sc on weekends its located at my dads house in south carolina.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright. i may be intested later on . but i thin kits fine for a while. i will let you know

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
i used to be in hamtpton ,va but deployed the tranny has about 15-20k on it all highway i used to drive back and forth from va to sc on weekends its located at my dads house in south carolina.
im actually in hampton right now, how much are you wanting for the tranny?

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
and i dont have a short throw shifter. but i do have the tri-ax handle with the hurst pistol grip handle... maybe a short throw would help??
The handle alone is gonna hurt more than it helps, but I honestly don't think a short-throw would help this particular situation anyway. If it's a T45, it just needs to have the shifter replaced with one that has positive stops, or you risk bending a shift fork.

The only other thing I could suggest other than a bad syncho is if you still have the factory auto-adjusting clutch quadrant. That thing's a piece of trash, can get to a point where pedal-to-the-floor doesn't have the clutch totally disengaged, and really needs to be replaced with an aluminum quadrant with a firewall adjuster. I suggest the one that Maximum Motorsports sells (you can get the whole kit with the quadrant, adjuster, and new cable for $120 or so), though I'm sure others are good also.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
There are also issues with the clutch cable. If you don't have a quadrant adjuster and such, you can't fix it. Your clutch pedal is adjustable from the factory, but they get kind of stripped and don't work very well. The adjustable clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster help. I know that I had a similar thing, but my clutch cable was also stretched which didn't help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts