Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
eating 1 ricer at a time
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i found out my rear end couldnt take a 2300 rpm launch and hook without breaking **** the other day tore up my spider gears its all that needs replaced are they easy to do ... do they need any shimming , spacing ect. or do they just slide in?

the axles, bearings, ring and pinion are all fine its just the spiders that are messed up
thanks.

·
Registered
493 Posts
should just be the spider gears, but i would have a good look around while you're in there to make sure that's all that got destroyed.

·
eating 1 ricer at a time
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did last night pulled the cover offf alll is fine oil is the right color no metal chunks of any kind the axles are fine the bearings are all fine its just the spider gears are chewed up!

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Damn sorry man! What kind of tires were you launching off of?

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Its not to bad. Pretty tricky though. You have to roll the top spider gear and bottom one in at the same.time and get.it to mesh where it lines up for the pin to go threw. You'll understand when you get into it. Watch how.it comes out. Just put it back how.it is. Should have just one metal shim do hickey

·
eating 1 ricer at a time
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn sorry man! What kind of tires were you launching off of?
a fresh set of nitto invo's with about 300 miles on them stickiest damn tire ive ever had x.x wet or dry! ESPECIALLY wet

Its not to bad. Pretty tricky though. You have to roll the top spider gear and bottom one in at the same.time and get.it to mesh where it lines up for the pin to go threw. You'll understand when you get into it. Watch how.it comes out. Just put it back how.it is. Should have just one metal shim do hickey

thanks for the input reps its all gettin done today got a car show tomorrow lol

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
a fresh set of nitto invo's with about 300 miles on them stickiest damn tire ive ever had x.x wet or dry! ESPECIALLY wet

thanks for the input reps its all gettin done today got a car show tomorrow lol
Off topic but you like your invos?

And I don't know if I'd trust just replacing the spider gears. It think as long as I was in there I'd replace everything and either rebuilt the TLok or get a 31 spline diff. You never know what kind of **** was floating around in there that you can't see that could mess up bearings/clutches later. Plus there's no time like the present to upgrade to the 31 spline diff.

·
Registered
157 Posts
As long as it's just the spider gears, you shouldn't have to worry too much. However, you should be careful to put any shims back where they came from. Changing of the ring/pinion gear is more complicated though. I won't take up too much space here, so if you must change either of these, contact me if you need help with the ring/pinion.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
If ya broke it once, youll break it again. Time for a 31 spline setup

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
If ya broke it once, youll break it again. Time for a 31 spline setup
That's what I was thinking. And it's not even like the OP was launching the **** out of it. Broken parts are just an excuse to upgrade anyway.

·
eating 1 ricer at a time
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
yes i love the invo's i had a set of falken azenis rt615's before in 315-30-18 now i have a 295-35-18 and it blows falken out of the water imo but i more for straight line and the azenis is a autocross tire but i love it

as far as my comparison ON a scale of 10

dry - Falken 8/10 was able to do a 1600 - 1800 rpm launch
- Nitto 10/10 was able to do a 1800 - 2300 rpm launch ( the 2300 rpm launch snapped the axle lol)

Wet - Falken 5/10 had alot of wheel spin at anything past a slight to mid accel and launching and was really easy to whip the back out when i wanted to drift.

- Nitto 10/10 Has almost no wheel spin unless wot from the gun launching is with ease and minimum wheel spin but its still there but really easy to control the car almost completely refuses to whip the back end out from you and when it does catches traction almost immediately , cornering made for an extremely easy feat in the rain allowing me to push my car to the limit in all conditions!

I hope that helped

Cornering I would call the falken a 9.5/10 and the nitto's 10/10
with the nittos only costing me 210$ a piece and the falkens 333+ a piece a way better option imo!

BACK ON TOPIC LOL

p.s. also got to digging also snapped an axle getting new axle new bearing , new spider gear already got the parts next time it breaks ill upgrade to a 31 spline what is the upside to a 31 spline besides durability???

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
The only thing I would be worried about is if a piece of the spider gear has been run through the ring and pinion or has been lodged in a bearing or race. You should really take the differential apart to be safe. It would really suck to get it all back together and have it break again.

·
eating 1 ricer at a time
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well my buddys dad owns tellmans auto body the most reputable body and repair shops in the county and he has taken it all apart only thing wrong was the snapped axle , and i need new bearings and new spider gears this is prolly gonna cost me between 500 - 800 dollars x.x

hes done alot of my custom work and i trust his judgement very respectably not only because he knows what he is doing but the fact he has a few muscle cars that are 1,000 hp street monsters and he knows how to fix broken **** lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts