Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a engine for my car and I have AFR 185 heads and a Blozilla super charger. The intake manifold I need to use has to be a GT 40 intake. The mustang intakes are hard to find and expensive but the Explorer one's are every were so I picked one up of the internet. I was going to port match the intakes, but it doesn't look like the much smaller ports on the manifold can be enlarged enough to match the head ports.

My question for you is, is there a different between the mustang GT40 manifold and the Explorer manifold? :eek:

Kenne Bell said to use a Gt 40 manifold and AFR head together. So there must be a combination that will work.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
The Explorer and Mustang GT 40's are identical from what I've read. I've personally ported a couple Explorer lowers to the bigger 1262 fel pro gasket with no problems. You should have no problems matching it to the AFR 185 heads.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
The lower GT40 intake that came on the 93 cobra mustang is the same as the lower on the explorer.

And even though the uppers intake plenums look different they flow about the same

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
I gasket matched my cobra (lower) had no issues. I have heard that you dont want to go to crazy around the fuel injector ports

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured if I asked the 5.0 guys you'd know what I was taking about. The motor I'm building is a brand new 1969 short block that I've had tucked away for years. Was a factory replacement motor for a 69 bronco that never got used. I'm putting it in my 69 fastback. Converting to fuel injection, a 5 speed and a supercharger.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Thats cool......Glad to see your going fuel injected. Should be a nice ride when your through

1 - 6 of 6 Posts