Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im looking at buying a 4v cobra motor with 04 heads and the forged internals only issue is it blew a head gasket and im wondering what I need to look for to make sure im not gon:mad:na have to dump alot of money to get it together and into my car. The motor has about 50,000 miles and looks pretty clean on the inside given it blew the head gasket

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Biggest thing to look for would be any sort of valve damage. Those heads have a nasty tendancy to get hot and burn up valvetrain components.

Then check the usual things, pistons (in case of PTV contact or detonation), bearings, seals, etc...

And it seems like there's a ton of these motors popping up lately. Just after I buy mine of course.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know its gonna need some head work because of a little corrosion but im buying this motor for $1500. Just dont know if the heads are work 500 if they need work.

·
Mach1 FTW
2,223 Posts
$1500 just seems steep for a motor with a junk head gasket and possibly more stuff fubar'd. i have seen good 99/01 cobra motors go for that much before, just gotta be on the look out for good deals. watch the engine classified section over on SVT Performance and you will see what i mean.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I know the car it came out of and if I had the 1500 when he sold it the Guy he sold it to got motor and trans.for 1500 and im buying the motor for 1500 the middle man already sold the transfer for. 2000 so he already profited $500 from this

·
Registered
120 Posts
$1500 just seems steep for a motor with a junk head gasket and possibly more stuff fubar'd. i have seen good 99/01 cobra motors go for that much before, just gotta be on the look out for good deals. watch the engine classified section over on SVT Performance and you will see what i mean.
99/01 motors don't have the forged internals - those have the potential to pay for themselves

1 - 8 of 8 Posts