Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well the plan is to go to indy this weeked and pick up a 96 4.6l with all the motor parts, and long tube headers for around 350, and bring it home and slowly build it haha from what i know so far:
Engine
Wiring harness
ALT.
A/C lines? not sure yet
NO Ecu :( which idk where i will find one
no gauge cluster
no radiator
and ECT.... so bacically a motor with wires :p

but im still ecited i know most of you wont think its worth it but i would love the learning experience and finally be apart or the big boys lol

so i would like a list of everything i will need if you guys wouldnt mind helping me out

I know i need:
ECU
8.8 rear end
Gt brake booster
Gt Radiator
A/C & heater core
and lots of small stuff correct?

thanks guys - Skyler

·
Registered
928 Posts
transmission..

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
you'll need all of which you said. Tranny, driveshaft, motor mounts, wiring harness from ecu forward and also wiring from driver side firewall forward. Since your car is OBD1 you may also need to do the dash harness as well. Brakebooster, brake lines or bend yours to fit, accessories. You will need to have a plan for the PATS system if you don't already. PATS is Passive Anti Theft System and will cut power to fuel allowing your motor to turn over but not start. I would just get it tuned out.

Definitely build the motor if you can before you put it in. And other than that, dig in, you'll get it done. It wasnt too difficult. Froush and I both have done it that I know of and I am sure a few others on here that I know of.

Mine was 98 motor in a 96 car.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you'll need all of which you said. Tranny, driveshaft, motor mounts, wiring harness from ecu forward and also wiring from driver side firewall forward. Since your car is OBD1 you may also need to do the dash harness as well. Brakebooster, brake lines or bend yours to fit, accessories. You will need to have a plan for the PATS system if you don't already. PATS is Passive Anti Theft System and will cut power to fuel allowing your motor to turn over but not start. I would just get it tuned out.

Definitely build the motor if you can before you put it in. And other than that, dig in, you'll get it done. It wasnt too difficult. Froush and I both have done it that I know of and I am sure a few others on here that I know of.

Mine was 98 motor in a 96 car.
i have the base model 95 v6 and i want to find the 96-98 ECU and gauge cluster so i can use the tuner. also being as plain jane as my car is idk if i have the PATS system in my car

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The gt ecu will probably have the pats in it, therefor need the way around it.

How sure are you of your obd1 vs. obd 2? Pretty sure obd2 started in 96.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I did that, not a waste of time to me. Did the swap for free except my time and now have a solid car that I know works and functions to put a built motor in. I didn't mind the extra time it took put this motor in and get all the bugs out.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
i have the AOD trans im pretty sure it will bolt up but idk if the bell housing will or not
Your '95 has a AODE with the SBF bellhousing bolt pattern. It will not bolt up to a Modular (except for the '92 4.6L blocks that received the SBF bellhousing bolt pattern). The bellhousing is integral to the transmission case. It doesn't unbolt from the transmission. You'll need to use a transmission with a Modular bellhousing bolt pattern.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Get a 4v from a Lincoln. Same headache you will run into, but a better return.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts