Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a great deal on a 2003 Mustang Gt Hood Scoop online. The scoop is in excellent condition (2 minor scratches from wear). Its the same factory oem color silver as my car and I got it for $120 shipped :)

I plan to make this scoop functional, im going to knock out the factory scoop insert on my hood then work from there. I am still trying to figure out the best way to cut my hood liner so it isnt dangling and stays out of the way. Im going to drill wholes in the honeycomb scoop insert on the enw scoop and attach it. I will try to get some pictures, but keep your eyes out for good deals!

In the future I plan on purchasing a M112 kit from mysteed and the hood scoop would be nice especially with air being channeled directly onto the blower, the only downfall is that i will ahve to cut my hood so the pulley can stick out( which looks kind of cool) :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
did the same, Got the GT hood scoop, actualy removed the honeycomb all together, and cut the hood open where the stock fake grill was previously, looks clean, I used a body saw to cut out then cleaned up the edges with a 1/2 in deburing bit, Full funtional, in the process of fabing some ducting to make it ram air..keep you posted..

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
functional hood scoop = bad idea....i'll leave it at that
When you cut out the honeycomb area, you should still leave the bottom area there... To block water from entering the engine bay.. I wouldn't want water all over my motor, especially the coil pack is so close

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
When you cut out the honeycomb area, you should still leave the bottom area there... To block water from entering the engine bay.. I wouldn't want water all over my motor, especially the coil pack is so close
yeppers...even in the GT world we push guys away from trying to make it functional. that and it's a waste of time....you gain nothing from it and in the end the engine will look like **** after a few good rainings...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
yeppers...even in the GT world we push guys away from trying to make it functional. that and it's a waste of time....you gain nothing from it and in the end the engine will look like **** after a few good rainings...
+1

Plus it causes more drag and makes the scoop unstable. I've seen a few people have theirs start to rip off at higher speeds which could end very badly.

I really wouldn't want water going into my intake either.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I did not drill out all the holes on the hood scoop grill. only 1/3 of the holes are drilled so not much water will be getting in. Eventually i will have to cut my hood anyway and make it functional so i can fit an m112. Almost exactly like this guy, http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452794/2002-ford-mustang/page-4

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Are you going to get a V8 engine and supercharge it ? Or you sticking with the v6?
Idk why but it seems like a lot of work for such little power gain on a V6
V8 will be a different story.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
M112 on a v6 and are you joking when you say its a little power gain? People are making close to 300rwhp and 290rwtq just with minor bolts ons and a m112 at a 7-8psi boost. Deffently worth it, more than 115 hp over stock, i think thats a gain well worth it. Cutting the hood is essential if i want to use a m112 with the stock hood, so my hood scoop will be functional like it or not.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
M112 on a v6 and are you joking when you say its a little power gain? People are making close to 300rwhp and 290rwtq just with minor bolts ons and a m112 at a 7-8psi boost. Deffently worth it, more than 115 hp over stock, i think thats a gain well worth it. Cutting the hood is essential if i want to use a m112 with the stock hood, so my hood scoop will be functional like it or not.
my friends m112 4.2L v6 with full bolt ons only ran a 12.97 on drag radials and skinnys up front...he saw how much time he wasted on that car and pulled the engine...and dropped a GT 4.6L in the thing. Turbo setup will be next..should be a bit quicker then either of his Termi's...

@zinc...i hear nothing but horror stories..including seeing some **** in person due to where that water leaks when it rains..it may not happen the first few times it rains...but **** will happen. pop your hood and see for yourself

edit: just noticed that you have a vert scholl...so expect low 13s or higher then...yep...bolt on 99-04 GT area there....way to go

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
Yeah I decided I'm not even going to bother going into the engine, and if I had a GT I would still just get bolt on's. Unless of course.. I had a lot more income at the moment.

If you want functional get the CDC shaker.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I don't on making my hood scoop hook up to my intake. Btw I'm not here to say the m112 is the best choice for forced induction but it will be perfect for me. My goal is around 300rwhp and 290rwtq. I'm not here to "be fatser than a gt", I just want to meet my own personal goals here and enough my mods. Also my car is my DD. And the hood scoop is coming out awesome. I used adhesive to attach screen to the back of the hondcomb grill and I'm going to drill some holes soon.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
Yeah I don't on making my hood scoop hook up to my intake. Btw I'm not here to say the m112 is the best choice for forced induction but it will be perfect for me. My goal is around 300rwhp and 290rwtq. I'm not here to "be fatser than a gt", I just want to meet my own personal goals here and enough my mods. Also my car is my DD. And the hood scoop is coming out awesome. I used adhesive to attach screen to the back of the hondcomb grill and I'm going to drill some holes soon.
his car got a whopping 12mpg (just one of the things he complained about) after the m112 and other mods...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts