Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
My step-son's 98 GT won't start. It turns over fine, fuel pump makes normal noise and appears to have fuel pressure. It doesn't appear to have spark though. We pulled a plug wire to check and got no arching. In addition the car threw a code 340 which said it was a cam position sensor. We replaced it and still no start. We figured you ask you if there was something else to look at. I plan on checking the Mass Air when I get home. The manual has some voltages to check, thought I'd look there. Any ideas or experiences? We appreciate any help. Thanks, T

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Iv never had this problem. But I do alot of electrical work.
This may sound vague, but follow the wire the sensor connects to. Make sure the other end is securly seated. Also check to see if maybe your coil packs are blown. Are both packs not making sparks?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked one of the coils yesterday before the sun went down. One wasn't sparking, but I didn't check the other. I had a hard time thinking that both coils went at the same time. At this point, after some reading, I'm going to replace the crank sensor. It seems to make sense to me at the moment, and its cheaper than a MAF! Has anyone else out there had this happen?

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
My friends Jetta had that happen.

I believe it is the crank sensor. Swap it and get back to us.
I misread your first post and thought you already swapped the Crank sensor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved. It was the crank sensor. I had to move the a/c compressor a little and it came right out. Once it was back together it fired right up and drove like a champ! T:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts