Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
your mom likes it
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've got a 90 GT and want to put a set of GT40s on it. However, I am not sure of which ones I need, stud or pedestal. I have a factory block, B cam, 1.7 crane rockers BBK short tubes and a performance industries upper and lower manifold. I was unable to figure this out on my own, so I turn to those who know more. Any thoughts on this combo would also be appreciated. :dunce:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
All GT40's were pedistal rockers. If you have stock heads now, you should be able to use your existing rockers, pushrods, etc. You will probably see a 20-25 hp increase.

·
your mom likes it
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking on latemodelrestoration.com and they list two kinds. I've been out of the loop for a while but I thought there was only one type of GT40 as well. Any idea what the total power output would be? I also have a.c./air pump delete, march underdrive pulleys, 190gph fuel pump, 24lb injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, an electric fan, off-road x-pipe, some flowmasters, and a BBK cold air.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

·
your mom likes it
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isn't the twisted higher power band head? Everything I've got now is all geared for midrange street hooliganism. Don't really want a top end screamer, I kinda like the punchy street bruiser setup I've got going on. Just want to expand on it. And I don't really want the added expense of switching rockers when I already have the crane 1.7s.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I'm pretty sure the twisted wedge will make more power than the GT40X through out the power band. Don't know where you heard the top end power deal, but I've got a couple TW cars and it's not true at all! But it's your call so get what you want. I personally would choose the Edelbrock Performer 5.0 pedistal mount over the GT40's.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I'm a Trickflow guy, so I'm going to say the same thing as HorsepowerJunkie said. I don't remember how much, but I got a decent amount for my old pedestal rockers on ebay when I sold them. You wouldn't have much trouble if you did decide to just change everything up. If you were looking to go used, GT40 stuff would be fine, but for new, I just don't wouldn't ever think of parting with that kind of money for that stuff. It takes quite a bit to get GT40 stuff to do 300rwhp yet TF's will do it right out of the box with ease.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
170's. I have the 185 cnc's with the Stage 2 cam and the Track intake, and I can tell you that power does definately come on more at 4k, not that it doesn't move below, but you get what I mean. The cam has some to do with that as well, though.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Aluminum vs. Iron, I'm sure. And for the Trickflows, there are emissions, and non emmisions, and 61cc vs. 58 cc for the heads we are telling you to get. If you have stock pistons, I'd shoot for the 58cc to keep the compression up.

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
About 60 or 70 hp with your current ccombo. I'd say a total of 270-290 at the wheels

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Not bad. I'm shooting for 300ish at the wheels. Turns out 300 rwhp is a bitch without a power adder.
Not really, I did it with a 114,000 mile 89 HO short block, Comp XE266HR cam, out of the box Twisted Wedge 170's(61cc), Performer RPM air gap, 650 Quick Fuel, FRPP shorties, off road X-pipe, 3 chamber cat back----- = 311rwhp!

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
^yup like clockwork tfs170+good cam+good intake+supporting mods= 300rwhp damn near every time as long as the bottom is healthy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts