Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on for awhile but now im in need of some help. I have a few questions about using nitrous with gt40ps. My current setup (still in construction) is...

302 block .40 over
factory crank & rods (forged)
.40 over forged probe pistons 10.25:1
N-21 cam
GT40ps rebuilt & surfaced (.15) 59cc now I believe??
1.7 RR
Explorer intake w/ Fox Lake stage 2 porting.
24#s
65mm EGR & TB
ProM MAF
shorty headers o/r h pipe and mac dumps
10* degree timing maybe 12 depends what it likes

I want to shoot it with some nitro 75-125 shot im thinking 100 though. could that setup handle a 100 shot? what's the most I could spray? do I NEED the progressive controller? what plugs I prefer NGKs? or should I get a nitrous tune? ive never really messed with it before so im a little lost when coming up with a safe setup.
THANKS, Tyler.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Progressive controller is only for traction issues - generally a large shot. I wouldn't mess with one unless you need to. They can be hard on solenoids. You need to pull timing when you spray. Either before you run down the track or with some kind of timing control. I'm using a MSD digital 6 box to pull it when I hit it. If you get a dedicated nitrous tune with a SCT chip for instance, you'd probably be able to do a 175-200 shot if you wanted, but 150 should be no issue if you are nervous. Go with a 2 step colder plug, and lastly using the word nitro is gay! :gayfight2:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks that helps out a lot ill look into the digital 6 box because I have an msd distributor that is wired for one that I wasn't going to use but maybe I will. if I was to get a tune do I still need the box? and i posted it with my iPod and i thought i typed "nitrous" but i guess not haha that was gay

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
No box if you are using a tune for it. They will pull the timing in the tune. Make sure you get a switch chip though. One that holds more than one tune. Tuner here said it's an extra 100 bucks to get another tune on one. If I get serious with nitrous, than I'll go that route too, but until then, the Box will do. Plus, you have to shut down, flip tune, then restart the car from what I understand. So even if I go that route, I'll have the box on the N/A tune to pull timing incase I wanna hit it unexpectedly if the situation comes up - if you hear what I'm saying. :shiftyeyes

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
using the word nitro is gay! :gayfight2:
Don't worry we are all a little gay :withhomo

Also I may have missed it but a window switch is always a good idea

I like autolite plugs. Go a step colder on em, I have had good luck with NGK too tho
NGk number is tr6 or 4177
Autolite number is 103

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Yeah, nitro goes in top fuel cars. I like using the digital 6 box to pull timing on sspray. Im not a fan of tunes pulling out timing, the boxes work better imho. Set your car up to run its best n/a and then use the box to pull timing when it sees the solenoids open. No need for anmsd distributor, dint need it with the box.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
No box if you are using a tune for it. They will pull the timing in the tune. Make sure you get a switch chip though. One that holds more than one tune. Tuner here said it's an extra 100 bucks to get another tune on one. If I get serious with nitrous, than I'll go that route too, but until then, the Box will do. Plus, you have to shut down, flip tune, then restart the car from what I understand. So even if I go that route, I'll have the box on the N/A tune to pull timing incase I wanna hit it unexpectedly if the situation comes up - if you hear what I'm saying. :shiftyeyes
Wish you were closer, I write additional tunes for free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts