Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need help did some research I think its a good deal.. need help here!

I have a fresh set of Ford GT40P cylinder heads. AutoMachine Shop cleaned and assemble these heads. These heads is upgraded with Comp Cam Valve springs, CompCam Retainers, CompCam Locks and Valve Seals, Copper Valve Guides, Manley Stainless Valves..
The Spring is good for 650 lift. have about 200 miles on it.

Want to get $450.00 for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also probably a stupid question but will my Hooker Long tube headers bolt on?

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
It doesnt seem to bad.

Ive seen some guys buy them for $200 and then dump $400 into them. So keeping that in mind, not a bad deal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im buying these tomorrow, just wanted to make sure I wasnt getting ripped off.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
What exactly are copper guides? Kind of get the feeling this guy is tossing out a bunch of terms to get more cash out of his stuff. Jus sayin.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I wouldn't lay 450 for them. I've seen aluminum heads going in Craigslist for 6-800. I would just save up a bit more for that price

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have gt40p heads, so I hate to admit it, but I gotta agree with the guy above me and nx. If I were you Id save up the extra 200-300 bucks and get aluminum heads.. you wouldnt be dissapointed you did it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I debated the same thing about 8 months ago and easily decided double the cash was worth double the hp :naughty: , even with a stock cam and a untuned carb my very first drive I was very happy I threw out the extra cash for them.

·
Registered
588 Posts
O and I see fresh heads like that on craigslist go for 230-300 all the time. even If your on a really tight budget I still wouldn't pay anything over 325 personally and thats high in my op.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, If spending the money on tfs heads is out of the question, go with them, I would offer him less tho. GT40P are good heads, even compared to regular GT40 heads their better. But if you look around, you usually find that tf heads usually will make an addition 30rwhp sometimes more sometimes less over gt40p's. If you can do your own port work though and a set of bigger valves, you can make the gt40ps flow close to the trickflow heads, but again, your going to end up with the same cost plus a heavier head.

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
What exactly are copper guides? Kind of get the feeling this guy is tossing out a bunch of terms to get more cash out of his stuff. Jus sayin.
i was wondering about those copper guides too...

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Although i agree, i would save a little more and get better heads. I still dont think its that bad of a deal, but id say thats top dollar. Like said above, ive seen guys on this forum buy them for 200 then by the time new springs are installed and a machine shop as gone through them, that can be another 400... at that point its not worth in. But the heads the op is looking at are border line in there value.

To the op at the most id only pay about 375-400 other wise just get better heads.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
GT40P heads are definitely a nice upgrade over stock. I bought a whole engine used for $100, bought $100 Ford Racing valve springs, and spent $180 having them done up at the machine shop. So I put $380 into mine and I had a spare bottom end and the GT40 intake. Compared to stock these are way better, and for half the price of aluminum heads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was looking at different heads, but I also have a lot more planned for this car since it was sitting for 7 years when I bought it. Suspension, breaks, gears, intake manifold, and etc....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well if this isnt a daily driver, and you have time, I would be patient and wait for a good deal to come up, and maybe by the time you get that deal, you'll be saved the difference

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah its definatly my DD, I have a Cobra intake manifold im going to throw ontop to... not a track car by any means just want to have fun on the street every once in a while.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I agree, $450 is too steep for some P's. They may be better than stock but at the end of the day they're still factory ford steel heads. You could easily pull some used aluminum's for 6 bills at a swap meet. As far as the header question though, from the research I've done it seems almost any LONG tube header works with the P heads.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts