Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 5.0 (internals wise) with just an e 303 cam. My uncle has a set of ported gt40p heads and he has everything except the springs. Where can i find this?

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Comp Cams, Isky, Manely, Crane Cams, etc all make valve springs. Summit Racing will have what you need.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
dude summit is the ****, they have almost everything as long as it aint the brands they dont carry like afr and steeda

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im reading this book called 5.0l ford dyno tests.. you can get it from borders for 20 dollars. 2000 dyno pulls, it looks like with the gt40p's, my long tubes, no cats, my u/d pullies, my cat back, gt40 intake manifold and my e cam i should be at the 300 rwhp mark. Cant wait. I also have a 73mm c&L maf sensor, a throttle body, yummy 300 rwhp sounds good. Darrel, while im in the middle of it all do you think i should change my e cam to something else? I plan on doing 6 psi in like a year. I want a cam that wont be so aggressive that i have no vaccuum or that i will be able to tell big time when im trying to stop. I want full streetability. Should i get a different abc cam or what do you think? The dyno test book likes the x cam and f cam a lot...

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Im reading this book called 5.0l ford dyno tests.. you can get it from borders for 20 dollars. 2000 dyno pulls, it looks like with the gt40p's, my long tubes, no cats, my u/d pullies, my cat back, gt40 intake manifold and my e cam i should be at the 300 rwhp mark. Cant wait. I also have a 73mm c&L maf sensor, a throttle body, yummy 300 rwhp sounds good. Darrel, while im in the middle of it all do you think i should change my e cam to something else? I plan on doing 6 psi in like a year. I want a cam that wont be so aggressive that i have no vaccuum or that i will be able to tell big time when im trying to stop. I want full streetability. Should i get a different abc cam or what do you think? The dyno test book likes the x cam and f cam a lot...
If you are stuck on an off the shelf cam I'd look at one of the Trick Flow cams or one of the Comp Cams.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Darrell has used a low 9 sec. car as a street car, I think his definition of street ability is different than average.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
If you are stuck on an off the shelf cam I'd look at one of the Trick Flow cams or one of the Comp Cams.
+1 to comp...the trickflow make decent numbers but for some reason i still dont like them...crane, lunati, crower, isky are all off the shelf right? well i know crane and lunati are but crower and isky?

·
RIP Justincredible! God Speed
523 Posts
Darrell has used a low 9 sec. car as a street car, I think his definition of street ability is different than average.
Its all a mater of perspective...

Whats the big deal with having a "street" motor that idles at 1600 rpm when you got a converter that stalls to 5000 rpm?:D

·
Registered
6,000 Posts

Whats the big deal with having a "street" motor that idles at 1600 rpm when you got a converter that stalls to 5000 rpm?:D
the question is WHY NOT :D

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts

My engine idles at 950 rpm. My converter is a 5800 stall. The trans temp never gets over 175 and either does the engine temp, even in 95+ degree stop and go traffic. The only issue with my black car on the street was the spool. Turning sharp into parking stalls was difficult. Other than that if you drove it you would never call it a "race car" or "less streetable" than other cars.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wouldn't a 5800 stall be a bitch to run in neighborhoods? what does that mean that the power doesn't come at all until 5800?? isn't is kind of like a .. clutch until 5800 and then all of a sudden all the power just pounds? i am auto tranny retarted so please just clue me in lol

·
RIP Justincredible! God Speed
523 Posts
wouldn't a 5800 stall be a bitch to run in neighborhoods? what does that mean that the power doesn't come at all until 5800?? isn't is kind of like a .. clutch until 5800 and then all of a sudden all the power just pounds? i am auto tranny retarted so please just clue me in lol
It will still pull the car around at lower rpms.

Here is a pretty good description on how a converter works and what people mean when they refer to the "stall" rpm.

http://www.autogeek.com/news/Transmission1.pdf

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
No, it runs just fine in town. You won't see the 5800 stall until you get on the transbrake. Then it is just like dumping the clutch. On the street the car drove like pretty much any other automatic car out there besides the fact that it had more horsepower than alot of street driven vehicles. If you drove it you would never even know it had a 5800 stall converter. Torque converter technology has come a long way.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
No, it runs just fine in town. You won't see the 5800 stall until you get on the transbrake. Then it is just like dumping the clutch. On the street the car drove like pretty much any other automatic car out there besides the fact that it had more horsepower than alot of street driven vehicles. If you drove it you would never even know it had a 5800 stall converter. Torque converter technology has come a long way.
it has too +1

1 - 15 of 15 Posts