Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the GT500 suspension fit a s197 GT? I found one on craigslist for 50 bucks, what do you think? worth it?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Umm... what part of the suspension did you find for sale?

EDIT: all in all, the regular GT and the GT500 aren't that different. Especially when it comes to suspension components. If you actually want a good suspension system, you're better off getting good aftermarket components as the 07-09 GT500's aren't that much better than the regular GT's suspension components. I mean, cost is cost though, so that's always you're call, but if you thin you want a really top notch suspension setup on your GT, do yourself a favor and look at BMR and the like.

Also, there are a lot of components that make up the suspension on a car, and all of them can be upgraded. Just guessing, but you're probably looking at an ad for GT500 LCAs which are slightly better than the GT's LCAs, but... the guy who took them off his GT500 is upgrading to something better, so that should give you an idea.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Mickey, where in heck did you find that craptacular video? "What Shelby does is fit the standard 4.6L V8 with a supercharger, only it's bigger than Roushe's supercharger, so you get 475bhp."

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
see the attchment

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
I would pass on that.

Save up and buy real stuff that is dedicated for the GT.

I went all Steeda and couldn't be happier...but the Roush stuff is awesome as well.

There are lots of good companies that make stuff that will set you up correctly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats what i was thinking...im not dying to get anything, but for $50 i figured i would ask around

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Mickey, where in heck did you find that craptacular video? "What Shelby does is fit the standard 4.6L V8 with a supercharger, only it's bigger than Roushe's supercharger, so you get 475bhp."
The facts are wrong, but the point is the Roush spanks the GT500 in handling...and the GT500 vert actually has better weight distribution than the coupe.

Anyway, the GT500 handling sucks because of the iron block up front...and those front GT500 springs are designed to compensate for the iron block and blower that comes stock on those cars, as is the front sway bar.

I think adding GT500 front springs and shocks to a GT (if it will even fit) would result in a stiff, harsh ride.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Regardless of him not knowing **** about the cars engine, he is a professional driver and gave a review on how the car handles...and it handles like **** he said...he praised the Roush tho, and for a reason

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Regardless of him not knowing **** about the cars engine, he is a professional driver and gave a review on how the car handles...and it handles like **** he said...he praised the Roush tho, and for a reason
+1

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
and the GT500 vert actually has better weight distribution than the coupe.
07-09 GT500's yes. 2010 reversed that.

Mickey -- c'mon, man, you know full well that saying to not get anything off the GT500 for $50 is misleading until knowing exactly what it is. Guy wanted to know if it was a good deal, it's iffy with tuned components like those, but if it were control arms or something else it'd be a slightly different story... for $50. He wasn't asking if he should splurge on the entire suspension setup at full retail. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I am trying to save him $50 dude!! Use that money towards BMR, Roush, Steeda, or Saleen components...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
roger that...ill keep my $50 haha. I figured as much considering how heavy that iron block is

·
Registered
295 Posts
Really?!! Top Gear FTW! Yes, Clarkson sucks at the facts ( or makes up his own ), but when he tests a car he tells it like it is and having the show not backed by any companies lets them be honest unlike ANY car shows we get here in the states.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Really?!! Top Gear FTW! Yes, Clarkson sucks at the facts ( or makes up his own ), but when he tests a car he tells it like it is and having the show not backed by any companies lets them be honest it unlike ANY car shows we get here in the states.
Lets him be honest. Honest is cool but get a 14 year old intern like mustangfan to at least google the car for him so he knows what engine it comes with. And he needs to learn how to drive.

throw a 1000 bucks worth of suspension bolt ons at that GT500 and record lap times then. might be a different story.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Lets him be honest. Honest is cool but get a 14 year old intern like mustangfan to at least google the car for him so he knows what engine it comes with. And he needs to learn how to drive.

throw a 1000 bucks worth of suspension bolt ons at that GT500 and record lap times then. might be a different story.

LOL. Well I guess Jeremy could use someone like me to google stuff for him, but I'd only do it if a paycheck was included. :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Lets them be honest. There are three hosts on the show.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Lets them be honest. There are three hosts on the show.
also he said it comes with no brake upgrades. 4 piston brembos and 14 inch rotors are upgrades. And he said the roush is 35% stiffer then a gt? what exactly does that mean? chassis wise? 35% stiffer when his blue pill kicked in. You would think before you flogged a car on at the race track you might open the hood up.....hmmm something looks different. And just in general look around the car. Doesnt require a budget for that. Then again how much flogging was he doing with no helmet on and the top down on a vert. It was good tv though with the intentional fishtailing.

Here is a vid of a gt500 with a scca driver on the road course.

circuitvid1-1.flv video by richardad11 - Photobucket

1 - 20 of 37 Posts