Excellent guide man, appreciate it! Following it on my mod list :cool:

·
Registered
343 Posts
It is a very good write-up :)

·
Tuning Junkie
148 Posts
Thanks for offering to answer questions DGS2vGT. I'm trying to decide between buying a handheld tuner with AM's emailed tunes for my 2000 GT 5spd or a 75mm TB and plenum. I'm used to push rod motor tuning and not sure if the gains are worth the money with the tuner and tunes. My fox body responded well to a TB upgrade and the chip I bought and sold did not seem to do anything. What do you think, any advise will be much appreciated. Thanks !

Disclaimer: I don't post questions or ask for advise much; if my question is inappropriate for this forum please excuse me for being site illiterate.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
In my opinion n/a the TB and plenum do very little for these motors. The tuner will be a small improvement (about 10-15 hp) but the beauty of the tuner is that it will compliment every other bolt on that you add. However, these motors do not respond very well to bolt ons and people often suggest (myself included) to save up for a blower or turbo if you want real gains. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

·
-- Logan --
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Thanks for offering to answer questions DGS2vGT. I'm trying to decide between buying a handheld tuner with AM's emailed tunes for my 2000 GT 5spd or a 75mm TB and plenum. I'm used to push rod motor tuning and not sure if the gains are worth the money with the tuner and tunes. My fox body responded well to a TB upgrade and the chip I bought and sold did not seem to do anything. What do you think, any advise will be much appreciated. Thanks !

Disclaimer: I don't post questions or ask for advise much; if my question is inappropriate for this forum please excuse me for being site illiterate.
I would much rather see you start with a Tuner with emailed tunes than a bolt on. As others have stated, these 2v engines do not respond well to bolt on's. So starting with a tuner will do more for you in both HP/TQ and MPG. On top of that it will greatly help when you do get other modifications done.

It's almost the opposite experience from your push rod 5L. They do respond well to some kind of Boost or N20.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts