Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone play guitars in here? If so, what do you have, what do you like to play, did you take lessons or self taught.

Ive been playing for just over a year (self taught), and I am not horrible, but need lessons.. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else plays.

Its a real cool feeling when you can start to play the songs you like..

Lets hear your stories..

·
Shake N' Bake
5,698 Posts
im self taught since i was 12 or 13 (im 22 almost 23 now) started on the drums in school and went over to guitar on my own time

i play on a devlin dve-400 (a nice knock off of the les paul) and right now i play through a peavey vypyr 30 amp with the sanpera II pedal

i started off learning metallica and stuff like that but i soon started playing/writing punk rock (which was not my best at all lol) up until recently i finally found my calling and have went back to hard rock

so right now i have my rock project "Hazard Play" and have 4 original songs complete, a few more on the way, i dont play covers anymore, i just focus on writing original material

ive posted my vids before but here's my youtube music channel if you wanna check it out

YouTube - HazardPlayMusic's Channel

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
^ Sweet bro.

I've been playing about the same time, (year or so) self taught, I started on a fender acoustic with spanish style wide neck with nylon strings(oohhyaaahhh :)) Never had an electric till about a month ago, Uncle left me it in his will God bless him. :( I got a cheap, but nice, Peavey Raptor running through a danelectro FAB distortion pedal and another cheapo esteban amp. Lol, but it' s what I got, sounds decent I'm no pro. I'm still in early stages of learning electric style playing, but I got riffs and some bits and peices of songs, I struggle with the "shredding" aspect of it, so practicing scales is a daily. Lol.

·
It's not easy being green!
4,893 Posts
Yeah I've been playing about a year and half. My dad's good friend was coming up from KY and I had been interested in guitar so he brought an old Ibanez Les Paul copy down to play. He let me borrow it until I got my own guitar. 6 months later I bought an Epiphone Les Paul, along with my Fender American Special Strat, and my Ovation Balladeer. Love guitar and never regret picking it up. The ammount of combinations that you can make sound wise and gear wise is near endless. :) All I can say for anyone pretty new or struggling is practice, practice, practice.

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts
I started playing when I was 13. I am going to be 21 in 2 weeks. I took lessons for only 3 weeks just to learn scales, chords, and how to read music (not tabs). Didn't see a point to keep taking lessons just to learn individual songs so I dropped the lessons and taught myself the rest of what I know.

I played through a white on white fender strat for a couple years. And just recently picked up a flat black dean razorback. I love this guitar, it's so much easier to get to the higher frets.

I started off learning simple songs like everyone else. Iron man, smoke on the water, a couple white stripes songs, and enter sandman. Then started learning mostly metallica. I moved onto a wide variety of things I was learning after for a little more difficulty. Like sweet child of mine, 96 quite bitter beings, you know. Then I hit like 16 or 17 and got into death metal. Learned a lot of lamb of god, cannibal corpse, dying fetus, and slayer songs.

Got bored with that stuff recently and got into learning a lot of pantera songs. Mostly for the solos just because of how complex and hard most of them are to pull off right. Tonight I was working on the solo to cemetery gates, it's really not as bad as I thought it would be, but I am not done with it.

Once I am done learning what I want to learn I told myself when I was like 15 I wanted to learn how to play freebird 100%. That's going to take a while though.

Oh and in terms of amp, I am playing through some peavy amp, I forgot what model it is. I've had it forever. And I have a very wide variety of pedals.

@supermachone. Your song "sanity" I noticed you had a little metallica effect going on in the vocals. :p I had to say it man. But sounds good bro keep it up. At least you can sing and play. I can't at all. But then again I can't even sing. Always wanted to be a lead guitarist without having to do any vocals.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I started when I was 12 and took lessons for two years. Since then I've taught myself. I'll be 21 in three months.

The first real guitar I had was an ESP Explorer. I don't know why I got rid of it, but I went through Les Paul style guitars, a Washburn, Brownsville, Ibanez, a few more I don't feel like remembering, and right now I'm using a Jackson Kelly.

I have a 100 watt Fender amp and a Boss multi-effects pedal.

I've been in a few bands since I've been playing, but nothing ever really happened with them. Recently, a few friends and I started playing together so hopefully we'll get somewhere.

OP - A good thing to look into are scales and different techniques. You can also try playing in different tunings.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
scales are a pain to learn haha. I can't wait till I get good enough with them that I can just jam on scales and get my fingers warmed up. I got sloppy fingers right now is how I put it. I don't hit the right strings or don't hit the string right all the time sometimes just feels sloppy. But we're getting there :p I love guitar!

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for all the response's.. Its very cool to hear everyones stories and what they are using.. Thank you..

I do play most of my stuff in drop D, I play mainly Tool songs, which is mostly drop D. I am trying to learn as much as I can, but it gets alittle tough, you tube is nice for picking up different things.

My plan was to get laid off from work this spring and then get recalled in late summer, in that time period I was going to take lessons... Well I never got laid off... Dang it.. LOL So this fall Ill get on it.. I need lessons, I can play stuff, but I need to learn the proper way, cause Im almost sure Im not doing some stuff right. LOL!!

Guitars are very cool deals, anyone who ever had any interest should give it a try, I find it to be a great stress reliever.

Again thank you all for your posts!!

funny story, I learned how to play Layla, because when my folks stop over they want to see how Im doing with the playing, and they don't know Tool songs!! LOL.. so I learn Layla, not all of it, but the main riffs and such.. So I tell them on the phone that Ive been playing Layla.. Next time they stop over, they are all excited to hear it, so I pull out the guitar and crank out the opening riff, and I nail the snot out of it, Got the pull offs with the flick perfect, everything... I get done look up, my mom says "cool!!! now lets hear some Eric Clapton".... sigh................

·
I Want A Good Speed Raping
13,304 Posts
I do not play guitar but i have a fakacaster. (basically an replica of a strat). I have some black guitar i believe an ibinez.

Never played either never got to learn how to play. They just sit in my room the non strat is just cool looking.

I also have a bass and keyboard but don't play those either.

My uncle gives me free guitars from time to time. The non strat was like 300 dollars and he gave it to me the day after he bought it.

When you can listen to any kind of music and pick up the guitar after 15 seconds you know you have become a pro. My uncle does that stuff all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do not play guitar but i have a fakacaster. (basically an replica of a strat). I have some black guitar i believe an ibinez.

Never played either never got to learn how to play. They just sit in my room the non strat is just cool looking.

I also have a bass and keyboard but don't play those either.

My uncle gives me free guitars from time to time. The non strat was like 300 dollars and he gave it to me the day after he bought it.

When you can listen to any kind of music and pick up the guitar after 15 seconds you know you have become a pro. My uncle does that stuff all the time.
Thats awesome....

·
I Want A Good Speed Raping
13,304 Posts
Thats awesome....
Yea my uncle is sick at the guitar. I played hard hard hard rock that he does not listen to. He takes my shitty amp messes with it for a min and plays the exact same guitar parts. Its crazy.

He has recorded him playing the guitar for some small time rappers around here. (yes real guitars in rap). he at any given time has 5+ guitars and thousands of dollars in audio equipment.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
scales are a pain to learn haha. I can't wait till I get good enough with them that I can just jam on scales and get my fingers warmed up. I got sloppy fingers right now is how I put it. I don't hit the right strings or don't hit the string right all the time sometimes just feels sloppy. But we're getting there :p I love guitar!
When you start out with scales, just learn the pattern really slow. Play through them a few times and gradually increase speed. Your fingers need to learn the movements.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I started playing at 13 with a crappy Squier strat and a 15watt amp. I took about 2 years of lessons. Unlike most, I didn't go to lessons to learn songs, I went for music theory. I think this is the greatest benefit, not just songs. I think one of the better books I had was "Blues You Can Use." Keep in mind I don't listen to much blues, I'm far more into hardcore/metal, but this was an excellent learning tool as far as scales, modes, etc... I also had a few books most notably penned by Kirk Hammett and Joe Satriani which also delve deeply into music theory. On top of that I took a few music classes in college to fufill my art requirement.

Now I'm 22, I've played in countless bands, done live shows, you name it. I've got that same old Squire strat, a flying V knock off, Ibanez RG-420B,RG-7420, AX-7221 (both 7-strings) IC-350, and a Squire MB-4 bass. I've got a small pedalboard, a Fender FM212 amp with me now, and a Mesa 50 caliber + amp head with Marshall 1960A 412 cabinet back home. I don't think the neighbors would appreciate my half stack. I do highly reccommend tube amps, especially the Mesa's. They're American built, rugged, and sound phenomenal. Plus matching it with the ceramic pickups of my IC-350 in drop C is just outstanding. One guitar I'd like to get my hands on is the Ibanez IC600, which is basically the IC-350 with the RG's super fast thru-neck.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
When you start out with scales, just learn the pattern really slow. Play through them a few times and gradually increase speed. Your fingers need to learn the movements.
Yeah that's what I'm trying to do. So far honestly all I've known and practised is the major scales, I'm fast at them but still sloppy. Practice practice practice. :cool: Being self taught is much more of a pain if you ask me, but I think it would benefit in the end. Then maybe take classes later to refine myself.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Yeah that's what I'm trying to do. So far honestly all I've known and practised is the major scales, I'm fast at them but still sloppy. Practice practice practice. :cool: Being self taught is much more of a pain if you ask me, but I think it would benefit in the end. Then maybe take classes later to refine myself.
One technique that might help is just some base "scrambles." Something to the effect of playing a sequence like "1-3-2-4" on a string with each number corresponding to a finger/fret, then repeating the next string up. When you go up and down a set you shift up a fret and repeat. You can do this for multiple sequences and add shifts and slides to it to increase difficulty. Not a bad way to sharpen skills.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I'll for sure do that, never thought of that haha. I've tried scrambling up the scales a bit, doing bits and peices that come together from different scales as well and jumping around. Trying to learn the full master of puppets at the moment, lol. I'm really struggling with the part where it's like

E-0-1-----0-1-------0-1--------0-1-------0-1--------
A------2--------3----------4----------3--------22

I just can't seem to make my finger open and close that fast while concentrating on hitting the frets in sequence, like my brain can't comprehend that lol.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Eleanor, something I've noticed while playing music. It brings people together, people of completley different walks of live have something in common, it brings happiness and comfort.

There's times me and my buddy have sat outside the movie theatre playing guitar and him on ukalele, before long there's 5 or 6 of us sitting there, jamming away having a great time, with people all around enjoying the music. The power of music runs rampant. :cool:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts