Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am gonna put my exhaust on this weekend, and i am thinking of just gutting my cats while i have every thing off. Is this a good idea? Also i am in a high elevation area (4600ft). i know the O2 sensors control A/F ratios and such. With my sensors turned off will it screw my car up?

thank you

·
Registered
503 Posts
Does NM have an emission inspection program? If not, why not just remove them?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no they dont. i am just trying to go the cheaper for now. then again tubing cant be to expesive i might give a exhaust shop a call and see what they can do

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
no they dont. i am just trying to go the cheaper for now. then again tubing cant be to expesive i might give a exhaust shop a call and see what they can do
Exhaust shop won't remove your cats. Its illegal everywhere, just not every state checks. You'd have better luck asking an exhaust guy to come over after work.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Most shops will still do it. I've never had a shop say no, just usually say come by later or something.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea i just called a couple and they said they can gove me the piping to replace em. but not remove em for me. so i am gonna go by and see or maybe just wait idk yet. does bama tunes give you the option to tuen it off.

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
yea i just called a couple and they said they can gove me the piping to replace em. but not remove em for me. so i am gonna go by and see or maybe just wait idk yet. does bama tunes give you the option to tuen it off.
Yeah, just tell them you have an offroad mid-pipe

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool thanks yall

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ah i see said the blind man. the reason i am asking this is i just installed my CAI last night and am ithcing to put on my exhaust and MORE MODS MORE MORE MORE. Sorry had a moment

MORE

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I gutted several cats on my other cars, its a easy cheap fix to get some more performance out of it on the cheap.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
will turning my cats off screw up my car due to the high altitude?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
i think the back to o2's are just for monotoring the effiancy of the cats , so you should be ok.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cool i am gonna gut my stuff. any tips brianm?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Exhaust shop won't remove your cats. Its illegal everywhere, just not every state checks. You'd have better luck asking an exhaust guy to come over after work.
What area are you in? Not trying to be an asshole or anything its just every place around here will do it for cash or if you come late enough in the day. The guy I went to before said he could put my offroad H-pipe on for cash. He also would do deals under the table for cash and not go through the shop he worked at so maybe he's not the best example lol but a lot of places here still did it.

Insert screwdriver, spin.
Is that like sit and rotate?

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
What area are you in? Not trying to be an asshole or anything its just every place around here will do it for cash or if you come late enough in the day. The guy I went to before said he could put my offroad H-pipe on for cash. He also would do deals under the table for cash and not go through the shop he worked at so maybe he's not the best example lol but a lot of places here still did it.

If you do it under the table yeah, but you can't just walk in yelling TAKE MY CATS OFF PLEASE!!

Is that like sit and rotate?
Lol if your into that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I removed my cats because gutting them was too expensive. The ford stealership wanted $1800 for oem replacements, which may have been needed in the future. At the very least get some cheap cats and gut those, or go o/r until emissions time.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
cool i am gonna gut my stuff. any tips brianm?
all I ever did was cut a window in the side them with a zip cut(1/16 grinding disc) clear out all the stuff inside and weld it back up with a mig welder. Magnaflows are awsome for gutting because they have that stainless heat shield that you can cut off and tack back on when your done and nobody can tell it was ever toutched.:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts