Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running stock 17x8 bullitts with 245/45s on the front. I recently upgraded the rears to 17x10.5 with 315s from AM. Since they don't quite match the stock wheels and I need new front tires anyway I'm going to go ahead and get the matching front wheels. I'm trying to decide if I should go with the 8s and 245s or go to the 9s with 275s. I'm leaning more toward the latter. If I go with the 9s and 275s am I going to have any rubbing issues? (I'm lowered 1.5) And do they stick out at all? Any other issues? Thanks, and if you guys have any pics I'd appreciate it. (I know there are pics on AM but they aren't very helpful)

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
You will likely rub a bit somewhere on 275's up front :yes

Some don't, but far and away there is a bit of minor rubbing somewhere. My recommendation is a set of 265's instead. I happen to think it is a better fit for a 9" wheel, have not heard of one rubbing and a 275 tends to be a bit sloppy on a 9" wheel.

Jazzer :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
I had 275's up front and the turning radius sucked. It looks cool but I went back to 245's. Turns and steers much better. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I've done the 275s up front on 17 X 9 wheels and I didn't like it - car steered like a truck.

I've also done 255s (Nitto 555s) on the 17 X 9 wheels and that works well.

·
Cone Killer
928 Posts
they're probably referring to a reduce steering response. With the increased rotational mass, the power steering system is probably not as quick to react, making the car's steering feel sluggish.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
I currently have 275s up front and I rub if i crank the wheel all the way over.

what do you guys mean "steered like a truck" I admit it tends to follow grooves in the road but because the old wheels I came from were sooooo junk I don't have an honest comparison.
The steering feels heavy and sloppy when you have the 275s up front you really want notice it until you go back with a different smaller tire. I went from te 275s up front and went back to 245s the steering and drive just felt Alot better with the 245s.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I just put my 275s on Saturday and drove it Saturday and sunday and I have no rubbing that I have noticed. It sticks out of the fender a tad, nothing bad. I'm on H&R Race Springs.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I was lowered on Eibachs w/ 275s and no rubbing .. but like the others have said ... very heavy steering. I have 255's on now and it feels so much crisper. And it really doesn't look much narrower on my 9" rim.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Op you can try out 275s up front many do try it and many also go back to a smaller tire and notice a huge difference in the ride once they go back to a 245 or a smaller tire. So some have done it and went back and see the difference and advise against the 275s and others have them and havent went to another size, just now gettin them, but there is a reason that ppl that have had them and went with a diff size would advise against it. Take it for what its worth and look at that last statement Casper made bc they do feel sloppy but you want notice it til you go back to a 245. and post #3 and #4 says it all.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I bought 275/40s on my 17x9 wheels. Yes, they tracked differently that the 245/45s. I bought 245/45s as replacement tires for my 17x9" wheels. I like them much better. The 275x40s didn't rub at all.

Here is my opinion. If you are running staggard, then run 245/45s. If you intend to rotate tires run 275/40s.

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
275's rub a tiny bit when turned full tilt, but its not an issue. You will learn to drive without turning all the way if you get them.

Side note: If you ever plan on doing coil-overs, get the 255's or 245's. The 275's will rub on the coils in front.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any pictures.

·
Registered
133 Posts
From another 275/45 thread...

I'm running them on my '01 GT, and I only get a slight rub while cornering pretty hard and at full lock, which is very seldom.
After about 500 miles on these tires (Nitto 555's), I have absolutely no issues with tracking or driveability with the 275's up front.
It corners nice and tight on the twisties, and tracks straight as an arrow on the freeway.
You can see the rup spot on my sway bar on the left of this pic...

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I don't know if it was Jazzer or Reverend that said the best performing tire is between 10-15% over the wheel.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok well sounds like most of you don't recommend the 275s. So how stretched do the 245s look on the 17x9?

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts