Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Savage 2v
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a couple questions...im currently putting in my new engine (MMR shortblock, etc etc.) and I was told by my tune shop to use Brad Penn break in oil for the first few hundred miles so the rings seal well. I called Vortech and asked them if I'd be able to run that oil through the blower without it messing any seals up or anything. The guy didn't seem too knowledgeable in the oil and just said he "wouldn't recommend it". Just seeing if anyone else out there used the Brad Penn break in oil, and ran it through their blower?

Second question is, if I decide not to run the oil through the blower (I.E. the blower would be bolted on, but it wouldn't be connected in the belt line), would the car run normal with the blow-thru MAF (and a cone filter at the end) for 500 miles or so during the break in? Of course the oil drain/feed ports would be blocked on the engine during this time. I would just run a belt for the crank, ps, water pump and alternator. I just want to see if it'll start up and run with that style MAF with no blower on it. My tune shop said that MAF is tuned to calibrate the fuel for the more air that it goes through. Any input would help! Thanks guys

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Man I would just run Motorcraft conventional oil to break it in.

One thing you should do, is weld the fitting to the oil pan so that oil will never leak. And wont have to worry about it.

·
Savage 2v
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man I would just run Motorcraft conventional oil to break it in.

One thing you should do, is weld the fitting to the oil pan so that oil will never leak. And wont have to worry about it.
My tune shop swears by this Brad Penn stuff...so I'll take their word. Plus it's only like 400-500 miles of break in, i can do that in a couple days :)
Oh, and to the welding the fitting tot he pan, its already done :yes

I would do the break in cycle without the vortech hooked up. Just in case there is some debris/shavings in the motor, you dont want getting in the gears of the blower.

Although, there has been people who have left blowers on the engine while breaking in and was fine.
Yeah I think I'll just get a correct size belt, plug the feed/drain, put a cone filter at the end of my MAF and see if she runs. I'd think a blow-thru MAF can act as a regular MAF and drive normally without boost...

·
Savage 2v
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can use the MAF without the blower if you want. I've done it multiple times.
How did it run? Was it really rich? Tune shop said the MAF is calibrated with the injectors for the amount air it gets, so less air = less fuel and vice versa

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
How did it run? Was it really rich? Tune shop said the MAF is calibrated with the injectors for the amount air it gets, so less air = less fuel and vice versa
The MAF isn't calibrated at all.. the tune is everything in terms of A/F ratio. With the correct tune you can run a MAF in a blow-through application and maintain the correct A/F ratio. If anything have them make you a quick tune without the blower so that it'll run correctly during break in.

I wouldn't hesitate to run break in oil through the vortech though. They're really not all that sensitive in terms of oil, especially for just a couple hundred miles. If anything you should be more worried about debris like JTs03v6 mentioned.

·
Savage 2v
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The MAF isn't calibrated at all.. the tune is everything in terms of A/F ratio. With the correct tune you can run a MAF in a blow-through application and maintain the correct A/F ratio. If anything have them make you a quick tune without the blower so that it'll run correctly during break in.

I wouldn't hesitate to run break in oil through the vortech though. They're really not all that sensitive in terms of oil, especially for just a couple hundred miles. If anything you should be more worried about debris like JTs03v6 mentioned.
The MAF is calibrated specifically for 42lb injectors. I already had it tuned when it had the blower on it, so that tune is still in effect. I was just referring that the car should still run "normal" and not pig rich because the computer will adjust the right A/F ratio even without the blower...it's hard to explain what my tuner told me.
And yeah the only thing now from not running the oil through the blower is the particles that could possibly go through it.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
the maf isnt calibrated to the injectors. The pcm has the injector timing changed to compensate for the varying loads the engine will see and the injectors.

All the maf does is tell the engine, X amount of air is coming into the engine. Then from there, the pcm looks at the ect, iat and X amount of air and determines how long to open the injcector on the cycle.

You could put any injector in there and it will only starve or drownd the engine with the tune you have in there now.

What you are refering to is on the oooooollllllllllddddddd dinosaur Foxbody pcms where you had sample tubes that when over the maf to change the air flow over the maf signal wire to determine what injectors were being used.

·
Savage 2v
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you're pretty much saying with the 42#'s I have in there now, running it N/A will run it pig rich? I don't want it to be washing the cylinders down with fuel when I'm trying to break it in lol!

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
So you're pretty much saying with the 42#'s I have in there now, running it N/A will run it pig rich? I don't want it to be washing the cylinders down with fuel when I'm trying to break it in lol!
No, the engine will open and then hold the injector open to the load demanded on the engine. The table/calibration for the open and hold time is whats programmed into the ecm. If it doesnt see a heavy load then it will only open the injector a short time and keep the fuel delivery down to a low quantity.

If you drive it normal and stay out of boost, the engine doesnt have a demand for lots of fuel, so it will only open the injector for a fraction of the time needed when under boost.

Reactions: T-Lee. 30

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
the maf isnt calibrated to the injectors. The pcm has the injector timing changed to compensate for the varying loads the engine will see and the injectors.

All the maf does is tell the engine, X amount of air is coming into the engine. Then from there, the pcm looks at the ect, iat and X amount of air and determines how long to open the injcector on the cycle.
The problem he's going to run into is the MAF will meter air not under pressure differently than it would when running pressurized with the blower.

Because of how your current tune is you'll likely be okay on the low end and rich up top where the MAF would have been metering pressurized air before. Your tuner could fix this really quick for you though.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
The problem he's going to run into is the MAF will meter air not under pressure differently than it would when running pressurized with the blower.

Because of how your current tune is you'll likely be okay on the low end and rich up top where the MAF would have been metering pressurized air before. Your tuner could fix this really quick for you though.
It wont matter, when the car is driven and boost isnt seen, the air isnt pressurized, same situation, just a different way of not seeing pressurized air.

Everyone is over complicating this, its actually very easy, cut and dry

·
Savage 2v
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, yeah that's what my tuner was pretty much saying as 86er is stating. It will work like a regular MAF, but since there will be no boost, there won't be as much fuel added. I won't be going to WOT on this thing during break in obviously haha, probably 3krpm max cruising.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts