Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had my '91 I installed a set of shorty headers, off road H pipe, 3 chamber flowmasters and 2 1/2 SS exhaust.

Now I have a '02 and would like to go with long tubes, H or X pipe, and the Saleen center exhaust. There is a center exhaust kit that comes with Magnaflow muflers.

I have several questions. H or X pipe and why? Offroad or catted? I was recomended catted because of the computer. Lastly, which muflers. When I was in highschool with my '91, Flowmasters were the standard.

I would like to get a really goood set of long tubes. Which ones are considered the best?

·
Registered
266 Posts
on the 02 Mustang the formula stays the same off road H and Flowmaster to me sound money!! As far as L/T BBK offers of off road H for the long tunes , not sure if Mac ever did. In which case a majority if L/T's usually hook up to an offroad X.

As far as un catted (off road) and your computer, you can get MIL if you can find any or have a SCT tune and bypass them. Really depends on your budget and plans for the car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car will be a weekend driver. I saw that someone posted that they passed emissions with a MIL. That's great! I live in Las Vegas and we have emissions tests.

Ultimatelly, I would like to have that same great sound that my 5.0L had with the three chambers.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Do your emissions testing involve sniffers? If so, it may be more convenient to have a catted midpipe. If not, then I'd say get the non-catted. You'll get a small gain in power and sound.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think you'll like a H midpipe because it will sound like your old school 91. H pipes are more muscle car and X is more european race car sounding. X gains a little more hp. Catless gains a little more hp vs catted.

·
Registered
266 Posts
not sure what the emission are like in Vegas. But here in IL as long as no CEL are on your good. I pass my car with Blower, Cams, L/T's, offroad X and Magnaflows. Bypassed the rear o2's in the tune and no issues. All they do here is plugs the CPU up to the OBD2 port no CEL, you pass.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
I suggest catted in whatever you get. New cats have such a minimal effect on power, versus the amount of emissions that are let past without the cats, there's really no reason to not run 'em.

Last dyno comparison I saw of cat vs non showed a gain of less than 1hp on a 120hp motor with 20x the amount of noxious gasses.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I suggest catted in whatever you get. New cats have such a minimal effect on power, versus the amount of emissions that are let past without the cats, there's really no reason to not run 'em.

Last dyno comparison I saw of cat vs non showed a gain of less than 1hp on a 120hp motor with 20x the amount of noxious gasses.
Sometimes cats actually give a tiny bit more power due to the back pressure. But you don't get an exhaust for power, you get it for the sound!

The main reason people go catless is for the sound, which I personally don't like.

For the OP, an X-pipe will sound a little bit more raspy than an H.

·
Registered
980 Posts
A TINY bit of power. You don't decide on your exhaust setup by which one will give you more HP, you decide on the one you want by the sound it makes.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
MAC lts and MAC Prochamber. Dunno if you'll pass emmisions but if u only drive it on the weekend then u shouldn't have a problem?
But the MAC setup wit flows is sex for ur ears IMO

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
^^^ agreed I like the way X sounds too and wit extra hp it's all around tha shizznizz

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
my buddy has a mac o/r H with flowmasters it sounds great. def mac lts, mac o/r, and flows.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
I've heard a couple dif setups wit MAC lts and the prochAmber and I really love the sound, can't wait to get them on my stang

1 - 20 of 22 Posts