Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so finally got a quote from my insurance company and its 1600.00 bucks. im wondering if ill come out cheaper if i buy an aftermarket hood instead of having a body shop take out the 20+ dents in my hood. also would i need hood pins and hood struts if i change out my hood?

·
Registered
889 Posts
you have the stock hood with the GT appearance package right?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep hood scoop and all

·
Registered
889 Posts
well i honestly would not spend $1600 to get that fixed. You can get a really cool hood regardless, let's say from AM, get yourself the 6% forum discount, and im sure getting the hood painted wouldnt cost you more than $500 (I have no idea how much it costs to paint! lol)

You would still be around $1000 ish. Better than $1600. The only thing I know about aftermarket hoods that I can chime in on, when I installed my hood struts so I could delete the bar that holds the hood up with you open it, it recommends not to use with aftermarket hood.

·
3v reppin'
3,454 Posts
A new hood will run you a grand and some change painted. I didn't need struts when I installed mine. I did pin mine though because it vibrated a little more than I liked at highway speeds and I like the look of the pins.

No way I'd spend $1600 just to get the dents out of the hood.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I just bought my Kaenan 3" cowl hood for $530 free shipping to a business from AM minus the forum discount. I paid $500 for paint. Now it's a little on the high side for paint but this is the only person that I trust to touch my car so it's worth it to me. So either way you're looking at $1000.

I've got struts and I didn't put them back on because I didn't want to drill into it. I didn't put my hood pins back on because I think this cowl hood looks better without anything on it. As long as the OEM latch isn't adjusted way out of spec there is no way the hood will come unlatched while driving. Sure it might shake a little bit but that's it.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
How did you end up with hail damage on just the hood and not on your roof or rear decklid?

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
i would absolutely buy an aftermarket hood. it's recommended not to use the prop rod for one reason the fiberglass hoods are significantly heavier. i wish cervini's offered carbon fiber versions of their hoods.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How did you end up with hail damage on just the hood and not on your roof or rear decklid?
i got like 3 small dings on the roof. you cant see them all unless you are really looking for them. and my decklid had none at all.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys for all the input. im getting some estimates tomorrow just see what they will charge to fix the dents. but most likely ill be getting a new hood.

·
Registered
262 Posts
well, HE is not paying the $1600.00 if he is going through insurance (at least i would hope not). My guess is that he will be paying a deductible. Depending on what that deductible is, an aftermarket hood, after shipping and painting may not be the best financial decision. On the other hand, this IS a great opportunity for a new hood if the price suits you.

·
Registered
889 Posts
well, HE is not paying the $1600.00 if he is going through insurance (at least i would hope not). My guess is that he will be paying a deductible. Depending on what that deductible is, an aftermarket hood, after shipping and painting may not be the best financial decision. On the other hand, this IS a great opportunity for a new hood if the price suits you.
yep... You are on not on MODDEDMUSTANGS for nothin!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've seen stock hoods selling for as little as $150. You have a popular color, so if you want to stay stock it might not be that hard to find one. Especially since you can still drive with your old hood. You could take the time to find one one and really make out with some mod money. Check Craigslist and classifieds in this site and others.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
true, you could just get a cheap gt hood and $1300 of performance parts... haha

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
a couple of body shops quoted me between 1400 and 1600. then they told me if i get a new hood they would have to blend the hood with the bumper and quarter panels and that would cost 900. would they really have to do all that if i got a new hood? im kinda ignorant when it comes to body parts. thanks in advance everyone.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
a couple of body shops quoted me between 1400 and 1600. then they told me if i get a new hood they would have to blend the hood with the bumper and quarter panels and that would cost 900. would they really have to do all that if i got a new hood? im kinda ignorant when it comes to body parts. thanks in advance everyone.
No, there is no reason they need to blend the hood. I just got my hood painted, no need for it!

you can't bend a fiberglass hood. personally i'd just go with an aftermarket hood.
What are you talking about???

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, there is no reason they need to blend the hood. I just got my hood painted, no need for it!
when he said he would have to take my CS decal stripe off and blend the paint to match i thought WTF. the car is only two years old. the paint cant be that bad off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts