Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did search, but to no avail for my answer, however i am fairly certain that i didnt read every single thread so a few got past, so if theres one that answers my qs then post it or pm me and ill delete my thread or a mod can do so/lock it... now to business lol

I know the difference between quarter mile times from a 99 3.8 auto-mine- vs a 99 3.8 manual is about a second, 16.5/15.5 respectively on average. Im looking for a general, educated guess, as to how many tenths a tuner can shave off by upping the shift points/deleting rev/firming the shifts etc etc. A good idea is all im lookin for, nothing dynoed/time proven, although i will not object to either of those haha

The scenario to use for this would be a 99 3.8 auto with 3.27 gears, the only mod would b a cold air intake-fenderwell- given all ur guys' exp with this platform, what realistically am i looking at from solely the tune?

Another thing slightly off topic, but same prob with a definite answer, im droppin a 4.2 v6-suprise suprise lol- into my sixxer, same mods-cai- and a tune, what improvements can i see? I know temp/track conditions/fluid friction/etc,etc plays a huge role in suggesting a somewhat accurate time, but again from your exp. I appreciate any and all info given, TIA!

·
V6 BIOTCH
6,945 Posts
Not much of a difference im gonna guess.
The biggest hurt is how they come off the line, 60' plays a huge role in track times.

But with a 4.2 you'll get a little more tq and a better power curve.
Will all help times but dont look for a "huge" increase.

And my advice is going ot be that you dont waste to much time on just swapping a 4.2 only. If your gonna go to the effort of swapping engines, buy a 4.2, find a cam, do some head work etc etc.
Make it worth your time...

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Not much of a difference im gonna guess.
The biggest hurt is how they come off the line, 60' plays a huge role in track times.

But with a 4.2 you'll get a little more tq and a better power curve.
Will all help times but dont look for a "huge" increase.

And my advice is going ot be that you dont waste to much time on just swapping a 4.2 only. If your gonna go to the effort of swapping engines, buy a 4.2, find a cam, do some head work etc etc.
Make it worth your time...
What mike said
Don't just throw in a 4.2
throw in a head Cam and Intake on there, maybe even a windstar, followed by a turbo with turbo Cam
Than just to be a bad ass throw in some gears with an upgraded rear end :D

Chill out, its the internet bro!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not gonna just toss in a 4.2 lol im most likely gonna have the m112 before i get the 4.2, at which point ill just swap that over :) i just wanted to know wat a 4.2 alone would do in the 1/4th so i had an idea of where id be with that and the 112 lol

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Im not gonna just toss in a 4.2 lol im most likely gonna have the m112 before i get the 4.2, at which point ill just swap that over :) i just wanted to know wat a 4.2 alone would do in the 1/4th so i had an idea of where id be with that and the 112 lol
Ah got it :D

Chill out, its the internet bro!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i know an m112 at like 8-10 lbs of boost will put a sxxer in the 12s on a 3.8, curious what a 4.2 would do with similar boost levels, havnt found any concrete answers yet, still lookin tho lol

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Throw a tuner and 4.10s in and you should beat any 5 speed with 3.27's. dont let the 5 speed scare you...autos are faster ;)

i recently rode in another 3.8 mustang with a 5 speed, bolt ons and 3.73s. it felt soo slow. there was just no pull in it at all and then i laughed out loud because i remembered that my car used to be slower then that lol.

·
MOAR BOOST
9,163 Posts
Throw a tuner and 4.10s in and you should beat any 5 speed with 3.27's. dont let the 5 speed scare you...autos are faster ;)

i recently rode in another 3.8 mustang with a 5 speed, bolt ons and 3.73s. it felt soo slow. there was just no pull in it at all and then i laughed out loud because i remembered that my car used to be slower then that lol.
my car, same mods - feels faster with the 5 speed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts