Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
CHIEF
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got a handheld question for you. I'm taking my car in for routine maintenance at the dealership. I've put my tune back to stock, and configured my intake, by air raid, to stock specs. I did this just in case they had to do any maintenance on the engine or transmission and I didn't want them to screw anything up. (Just being on the safe side) My question is besides a ECU change, does the dealership during maintenance , ever install updates to the ECU that would cause the handheld not to recognize it when I put the custom tunes back in? Thanks for any input! PS this is not a warrantee question.

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
If they do, they are overstepping there bounds. The only time a PCM should be flashed is if you are having a problem and you tell them about itm and as part of the repair the PCM needs a flash.

·
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday
6,530 Posts
You can also tell then not to reflash. They some times leave U codes on your ECU.

·
CHIEF
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely will tell them not to reflash. Being a total newbie when it comes to handhelds, what the hell is a U code?

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Module to module error code. Nothing important unless you are having issues.

·
CHIEF
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input. The bottom line from what you guys say is that the dealership doesn't install factory upgrades to the ECU, might leave an error code in, but it will not effect uploading the custom tunes when I get back out of the shop. PS like your new wheels xXFallout.

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
If it's just regular maintanance, there should be no reason to hook a computer up to it. I wouldn't worry.

·
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday
6,530 Posts
Thanks for all the input. The bottom line from what you guys say is that the dealership doesn't install factory upgrades to the ECU, might leave an error code in, but it will not effect uploading the custom tunes when I get back out of the shop. PS like your new wheels xXFallout.
:rockon thanks :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
They do it all the time without asking. You need to check and record the PCM strategy (vehicle info menu) you currently have. Take it to the dealers. When you get it back, recheck the strategy, if it is identical, then just reinstall the tune. If it is different, then contact your tuner and give them the new strategy (assuming custom tune) and get a new tune. Putting it back to stock is the correct first step though. If you fail to do this and they changed it, and you re-install the original custom tune, you will get a 'no-start' and have to tow it back to the dealer for a PCM reflash.

BTW: if there are any warranty issues, the CAN for sure tell if it had ever been modified, even if you put it back to stock.

·
CHIEF
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DELO6GT: Taking your info, I dug into a few of the tuners websites and your advice is dead on! Ford does updates to the PCM's periodically, and not ensuring that your strategy info is the same, will put your car in a non-start condition when reinstalling your custom tune. I agree that 9 times out of 10 they're not touching the PCM, however taking a few minutes to write down the strategy info prior to taking it in for maintenance is time well spent. Thank you again for this info!

·
Ford Master Tech
703 Posts
Honestly if your taking it in for basic maintenance i would not worry about it at all. Theres no reason and honestly if someone isnt getting paid to reflash your PCM they arent going too.

-Thomas

·
CHIEF
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Blazer 707:Just passing on the warning that I found if you take your car in to the dealer for maintenance.As I said in post #10,they are not likely to reflash during basic maintenance,but they could!This is not my info ,but what sites like Brenspeed say.Go to their site under the tech section and scroll down to the dealer flash updates article.Just passing on info to help others.

·
CHIEF
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had the time today to call BAMA since they are the company that did my tune.Their rep agreed that you shoud verify your strategy code prior and after taking your car in for maintenance at the dealership before you reload your custom tune if you changed back to stock. If you don't want to go back to stock, make sure like xXFallout said ,that you get it written down on the maintenance req not to reflash! Also noticed on the AM site that they sell a port cover to slow down the mechanic and make him think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts