Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys..

Just wondering. Do you guys hand polish tiny areas where the pad would be way to big to work on? I have '12 stang and around the tailight/trunk area, I just am not sure what to do....do I just rub the hell out by hand with the compound?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hey man!

I have a '12 as well. For the tight spots I used a 3" backing plate with 4 in. pads instead of trying the 5.5" pads.

You'll be able to polish in those areas.

Only thing I would hand polish would be scratched up gauges in the interior.

Most people will tell you that hand polishing is not very effective compared to using a machine.

Hope that helps!

-Blink

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Hey man!

I have a '12 as well. For the tight spots I used a 3" backing plate with 4 in. pads instead of trying the 5.5" pads.

Most people will tell you that hand polishing is not very effective compared to using a machine.

Hope that helps!

-Blink
That's because it's not ;) Hand polishing is a lot of work and you will not achieve anywhere near the same results as you would when using a machine properly.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'm not saying it is... but I try to respect other people's opinions.

I myself wouldn't waste my time doing it by hand. As it will NEVER be as effective as using a machine.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
I'm not saying it is... but I try to respect other people's opinions.

I myself wouldn't waste my time doing it by hand. As it will NEVER be as effective as using a machine.
Eh anyone on here that thinks it's worth the time to hand polish will probably learn very soon that's it's not anyways so we might as well tell them ;)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yes but that is for them to find out on their own. If they aren't willing to take some advice from those of us who have already paint corrected in the past.

Notice my advice? I only mention IMHO (again I am not an expert at this) hand polishing for gauges and other small areas to polish in the interior.

Forgot about this vid Handz did... just for example.

-Blink

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Hey man!

Hope that helps!

-Blink

Just try using glaze to hide your imperfections. If they are really bad, like blink said, smaller backing plate w/ smaller pads. If you try it by hand, little to no results.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Yes but that is for them to find out on their own. If they aren't willing to take some advice from those of us who have already paint corrected in the past.

-Blink
If they are here asking they probably don't want to find out on their own. . .

·
Registered
726 Posts
It's worth it man trust me!

I invested in a 5 pack of 4" pads with the backing plate to go with it! They worked great and its nice to have a smaller pad than a 5.5". I used them on the front bumper, rear (around the tail lights), trunk area, and quarter windows! Also on the pillars around the glass. Worked out perfect.

Thats Handz daily. I miss my Prelude, fun little car.
That thing is nice! I bet they are... I wish I wasn't so cheap. I need to find another DD. I just hit 21k on the 2012.... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

-Blink

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
It's worth it man trust me!

I invested in a 5 pack of 4" pads with the backing plate to go with it! They worked great and its nice to have a smaller pad than a 5.5". I used them on the front bumper, rear (around the tail lights), trunk area, and quarter windows! Also on the pillars around the glass. Worked out perfect.

That thing is nice! I bet they are... I wish I wasn't so cheap. I need to find another DD. I just hit 21k on the 2012.... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

-Blink
Wait why would you buy a 3" GG when you can just throw a 3" plate and pads on a 6". I am very interested in this for around windows and stuff. Is there a downfall to this?

·
Registered
726 Posts
I didn't buy a 3" GG...

I used a 3" backing plate on a PC or GG DA. I have 1 PC DA and 2x ver 2. GG DA's.

I won't buy that 3" GG DA.... I personally don't see the need.

What made you think I would buy one? :lol

·
TwinScrew Boostin'
846 Posts
Just for the record, I bought that prelude for $1000. I have had it for almost 3 months and have already clocked 4,000 miles on it.

Epic Fun Car.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
I didn't buy a 3" GG...

I used a 3" backing plate on a PC or GG DA. I have 1 PC DA and 2x ver 2. GG DA's.

I won't buy that 3" GG DA.... I personally don't see the need.

What made you think I would buy one? :lol
Nooo, not you specifically. It was more of a general question. Sorry.

Why would someone buy a 3" gg da (not you specifically).

·
Registered
726 Posts
Well you quoted me... I figured you directed that question at me. No biggy.

I've never heard anything great about the 3" GG DA. Maybe just for novelty's sake? I wouldn't want to lose the power of a 6" DA over their 3".

To each's own I guess.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Well you quoted me... I figured you directed that question at me. No biggy.

I've never heard anything great about the 3" GG DA. Maybe just for novelty's sake? I wouldn't want to lose the power of a 6" DA over their 3".

To each's own I guess.
Yeah I thought that putting the 3" would ruin something or make something go wrong but hey! if it works then i'm in. I'm going to pick up a small backing plate and a few small pads for the next correction. It will make life so much easier lol.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Just try using glaze to hide your imperfections. If they are really bad, like blink said, smaller backing plate w/ smaller pads. If you try it by hand, little to no results.
Yea by hand no bueno.

If they are here asking they probably don't want to find out on their own. . .
haha good point. Id rather someone tell me up front too.

hmm..man i will have to buy a smaller backing plate and bad I guess...:/ more money
its not that much, plus you dont need a ton of 4" pads just a few.

Just for the record, I bought that prelude for $1000. I have had it for almost 3 months and have already clocked 4,000 miles on it.

Epic Fun Car.
Bro i feel you. I got my corolla Thanksgiving week. Already put 4500 miles on it. I wouldnt call it super fun tho. Mostly extremely economic lol. It goes 0-60 slower than my mach 1 will do the 1/4 mile....:facepalm:haha

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Eh anyone on here that thinks it's worth the time to hand polish will probably learn very soon that's it's not anyways so we might as well tell them ;)
I have been doing this detailing time for quite awhile.. one of the seniors here (lol), and I am telling you that hand polishing in SOME situations does have its place. There are some locations that a buffer, no matter the size, just can not reach.

Now, will you get great correction? Of course not... however you will get a drastic improvement.

If you can no get to it with a buffer, hit that area HARD with some compound, polish, and glaze.

hmm..man i will have to buy a smaller backing plate and bad I guess...:/ more money
Your detailing... it always cost money.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
^ well said Zat

Detailing is pricey for sure, but the payoff is invaluable.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts