Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added a Haney motorsports "Catch Can" to my TVS setup.

Engine Oil Vapor Separator Catch Can at HMS

It is amazing, as you guys know I got dyno tuned yesterday, and I put 74 miles on the car yesterday as well (had to take it to work to try it out). Anyway, when I installed this catch can last night and this morning, there was already oil in the PCV line and also you could see a smidge on the throttle body butterflies. :eek:

I did some reading up on our PCV system. Here is how it works in simple terms on our cars: The line that runs from the air intake to the passenger side valve cover is the engine's fresh air inlet. That is why you don't need to worry about putting a catch can or separator on the passenger side...any crud in that line (should actually just be filtered fresh air) flows INTO the passenger side valve cover. The PCV line that runs from the DRIVER's side valve cover into either your supercharger inlet elbow or your plastic intake manifold if you aren't blown is the line that sucks harmful fumes out of the engine. That is the line that, if you don't have a catch can, and ESPECIALLY if you are boosted, sucks oil from the driver's side valve cover and deposits it into your intercooler, your throttle body, and can deposit on valves, foul spark plugs, and cause detonation (effectively lowering your fuel's octane).

I've known about this for a while, but when I ran the M90, I called Roush and the guy I spoke with said it "wasn't a big deal and not really needed" so I didn't add one.

Well I have now seen 2 superchargers that were removed after use- the M90 when I bought it (it was used) and the M90 when I removed it, and both times there was a good amount of oil mess in the supercharger elbow, on the rotors, on the bypass vale butterfly, and on the intercooler inner radiator fins.

That is why I decided to go ahead and add one.

The PCV system ALSO helps with windage (pressure created in the crankcase as the pistons move up and down). The fact that you are "ventilating" the engine also helps remove any moisture, etc. that might be present internally as atmospheric conditions change. It is said that this also helps prevent engine sludge.

And the tree-hugging aspect is it re-routes harmful gasses back into the intake to be burned.

That is why I decided to go "catch-can" vs. just putting breathers on. I'm talking the sludge and moisture thing, not the tree-hugging thing :D (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

Some info on what I used:

The Haney catch can has 1/8 NPT (National Pipe Thread) taps. The universal kit comes with a 180 and a 90 degree 1/8 NPT to 3/8 barb fittings, anodized in black.

What I did was I took the breather line from my Roush TVS blower and modified it.

I really wanted this:

available at:

Radford Brothers Industrial Supply Union Reducer 3/8 x 1/2 In Tube Sz Brass

But I had to make do with what my local Ace hardware had in the plumbing section since I wanted it up and running today. What I used was a 3/8 barb to male thread, a 1/2 barb to male thread, and a female coupler. I made two of those.

I then cut my stock PCV line, heated it with my heat gun, and slipped it over my 1/2 barb, then used the 3/8 line Haney supplied in the Universal kit to run from my adapter to the catch can. I sealed my brass fitting connections and the catch can fittings with plumbers tape.

I'm pleased with it. It is not near as cool as going with braided hoses; I may switch to that later, but it uses Ford OEM quick releases still and should meet my needs.

Pics:

The catch can:

Driver's side valve cover to catch can top (cover). You can see my adapter:

On the catch can to supercharger intake elbow, I kept about 8" of the OEM hard plastic tubing so as to keep the 90 degree elbow, then added my adapter and enough Haney supplied 3/8" line to run to the can lower fitting:

Here is my OEM Ford PCV to supercharger fitting, with the quick release still intact.

The drain:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Nice piece, I may have to check that out in further detail.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I just ordered mine from UPR, hopefully it gets here soon. great write up!

·
"Spectre" Veteran
492 Posts
First time I saw the puff of smoke on a launch, I swore I had burnt a ring, heh. I've only recently learned of the vent line's function. I read that someone said this was a vent for elimination of pressure against the piston in its upward motion, thus pushing gases and oil mist into the intake system for consumption. Greater RPM increased the effect, thus the cloud of smoke on launch. I've cleaned my TB blades once around 40k miles as they were FILTHY from this crap. I'll be catch-canning mine in the future. I would've been rather upset to see that in my super if I had one...thanks for the write-up on this!

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For what it is worth, gentlemen (and I haven't drained it yet for the first time but will soon do so with a video) my car is smoking a lot less on startup. It never smoked bad, but there was always a little something.

Also, on my tuning session last week, my timing was nice and even with no spikes and no timing pulled by the car's computer.

I am thus far very happy with this mod - and it looks like the cat's jammies!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I'm going to take the plunge on this.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I like this one. I don't like the price though. Rather than ordering it online I'm going to call and see if I can save a few bucks on it unless you or somebody have any other ideas.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
There are other cans you can use and fab up with braided lines, or vacuum hose, etc...Stef's, Moroso, etc.

Also this one:

Billet PCV Catch Cans

Cans:

Moroso #85471 ($99):

Moroso : Category Display

85471 - JEGS High Performance

Stef's #5122 ($137):

Stef's 5122

I just wanted something that would be relatively plug n play. I still had to make those brass adapters and use my heat gun, but overall it was an easy install. If you go Haney and add those brass nipples I posted above you would be all set.

I said brass nipples uh huh huh huh

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Yeah well, I'm finding that out. My damn separator is a piece of ****. Every time I pull the throttle body to clean it not only do I see build up on it, but the blower inlet has a nice little puddle of oil right in the low spot of the casting. I think I might have got about 3k miles out of my Autolite HTO plugs. I just put another set in a couple of weeks ago and I'd like to get about 10k out of them this time.

DiMora, I really appreciate all the links bro! I just ordered this one> Billet PCV Catch Cans

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah well, I'm finding that out. My damn separator is a piece of ****. Every time I pull the throttle body to clean it not only do I see build up on it, but the blower inlet has a nice little puddle of oil right in the low spot of the casting. I think I might have got about 3k miles out of my Autolite HTO plugs. I just put another set in a couple of weeks ago and I'd like to get about 10k out of them this time.

DiMora, I really appreciate all the links bro! I just ordered this one> Billet PCV Catch Cans
Not a problem at all, glad to help. Nice choice...looks good and the price is right! The media almost looks like 3M scotch-Brite scrubbie pad material...that should work well I would think.

·
Registered
818 Posts
nice unit. I personally use the UPR piece, but a good catch can is a must.
all of these catch can/breather threads have been very informative. Vista, how do you like the UPR piece? Thinking about pulling the trigger on one.

·
Registered
818 Posts
sweet, thanks

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
OK, quit it!;)

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, quit it!;)
That's one is 170 and comes with no fittings, LOL. But it sure looks sweet.

Post up pics when you get your installed, Anthony! :yes

1 - 20 of 112 Posts