Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When ever I start the car after it set overnight or several hours to completely cool off it fires right up. If i've been driving it around and get up to operating temp then turn it off for 10 min or less it starts right up. However if I've been driving around and it reaches operating temp and I shut the car off for an hour or so while in the gym it really hard to crank and requires me pushing pedal to the floor and after almost 20 seconds it fires up and runs fine.

I have an electric fuel pump and have verified it's feeding plenty of fuel. My fuel regulator is currently at 4 PSI but have tried from 3 PSI-5.5 PSI with no change. I have an edelbrock 1406 carb with electric choke. I have verified that the choke is working as it should. I've tried adjusting the choke a little bit differently over the last few weeks and it doesn't seem to be solving the problem.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? If you need more info let me know.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Since you say you have to pump the gas a bunch, it sounds like your fuel bowls might be flashing (emptying out) due to high heat after you shut the engine off. A phenolic spacer would fix the problem. This can also be caused by a weak battery. Pretty simple to take it up to NAPA and have it tested.

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try the spacer. How much of a spacer do you think I should try? I'm a bit concerned about hood clearance becasue I don't have much space between air cleaner and stock hood. The battery was installed in March and I actually had it tested in the begining of June thinking it had gone bad but turned out to be my chasis ground had wormed its way loose.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Here's a few areas you can check. Starter overheating, timing too retarded, fuel supply overheating. Look into those issues and see if there's a problem.

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My fuel line runs from the driver side hard line up over the the top of my water pump via rubber line then connect to a fuel filter and hard line that goes in to the carb. The hard line sits about a half inch above the manifold and next to the valve cover. Besides the spacer is there anything else I can do to keep fuel cool? This seems to be most likely the problem based on everythign else I've checked prior to posting the issue.

My timing is currently set right a 12* which should be pretty safe from everything I read.

The starter fully engages everytime based on sound it just seems to take a bit before the motor will fire off.

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I added a 1 inch spacer and used some heat wrap on the part if the fuel line over the intake manifold. Did this Friday night. So far seems to be working. I confirmed the choke is working again as well. Didn't do much driving this weekend so will no for sure after a few days driving to work and back.

·
Registered Rainbow Troll
746 Posts
It could also be an ignition issue. Do you points and a condenser?

It could really be anything though... You need air, fuel, and spark to run. The air is pretty much a given. If you don't smell gas from the exhaust when you're turning it over, then it's not an ignition issue, and you can start chasing down the fuel issue with the carb.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It could also be an ignition issue. Do you points and a condenser?

It could really be anything though... You need air, fuel, and spark to run. The air is pretty much a given. If you don't smell gas from the exhaust when you're turning it over, then it's not an ignition issue, and you can start chasing down the fuel issue with the carb.
I had the exact same issue with my car untill i started running badly and eventually would not start at all.

Now i know the thread starter has MSD but for those of you who dont, you might want to check out the condensor because that was causing my problem.

The car decided to start running like crap again and again it's the condensor, all caused by a bad resistor wire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts